Can UOA tell if Synthetic or Mineral?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Just chatting with the guy at work who makes the agreements for our (smallish) fleet servicing. We are the process of tendering for our fleet servicing. We follow the vehicle manufacturers log book recommendations. Some use mineral oil, some synthetic.

Anyway, question from my colleague is can UOA be used to tell if a mineral or synthetic oil was used? Or is there another way?

Cheers.

Originally Posted By: Ned_Loh
Anyway, question from my colleague is can UOA be used to tell if a mineral or synthetic oil was used?

No. The tests conducted on an affordable UOA cannot discern the difference.

Can one see base stocks type of oil by its pour point? If yes then can we assume that oil with low pour point like under -50C would be PAO?

Originally Posted By: chrisri
If yes then can we assume that oil with low pour point like under -50C would be PAO?

Yes, but a $20 UOA does not include a pour point test, or CCS or MRV. I guess you could try to do your own pour test, but I'm not sure how accurate that would be.

Besides, majority of synthetics here in the US don't contain much PAO.

Well my question was somewhat in general, not strictly related to UOA question of OP. I always believed that pour point is good indicator of what base stock is used in oil. Additionally this information is easily obtainable from oils data sheets online.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Anyway, question from my colleague is can UOA be used to tell if a mineral or synthetic oil was used?

No. The tests conducted on an affordable UOA cannot discern the difference.

+1. I ask B-S that question and they said no.

Contact them and ask about the cost, and whether it will work for automotive applications.
wink.gif

Hi,

Just chatting with the guy at work who makes the agreements for our (smallish) fleet servicing. We are the process of tendering for our fleet servicing. We follow the vehicle manufacturers log book recommendations. Some use mineral oil, some synthetic.

Anyway, question from my colleague is can UOA be used to tell if a mineral or synthetic oil was used? Or is there another way?

Cheers.

The answer is no, because of chemical compounds called "PPDs."

Quote:
Pour Point Depressant (Performance Additive): polymethacrylates (PMA's); reducing wax crystal formation and increases solvency of oil at low temperatures. May be part of VII package.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...nal_#Post530321

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back