Post your BULLETPROOF engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The Jeep 4.0 with the exception of the torn piston skirts and cracked heads. The high moly in PYB seems to keep the aluminum wear somewhat down. That's the best we can do. Lol.

The older Renix 4.0s seem to be the toughest IMO. I think the additional crank time needed to start them along with their unrefined rumble makes them pretty cool.
laugh.gif

YES the Renix 4.0s. My dad had an '87 XJ 4.0 and it ran forever. I had a 1990 XJ Renix for a short time before it got T-boned. There are some pics floating around of 300k mile Renix 4.0s that still had the cross hatch in the bore.

The list cannot be complete without listing the old Chrysler flathead 6. These were built into the early 70's for use in generators,pumps, and welders. I have one that runs a 4" fire pump thats WWII surplus. It gets approx 50 hrs. of use yearly.

Another Chrysler product is the original Hemi head from the 50's, they were built not only for automotive use but also industrial/marine. There are several of them in use around here.

One engine that has been mentioned several times in this thread was the Chrysler slant 6. I had one of those in a pickup I bought new in '84. Worst engine I ever owned. Some genius never finished machining the camshaft and it starved the top end for oil. After 6 sets of lifters dealer decided to pull it down. It ate starters, cracked exhaust manifolds, and was severely underpowered for how it was geared. Not my idea of a bulletproof engine.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Im surprised to see nobody mentioned the F series Lawn Boy engine.
smile.gif

I have one of those in a 1996 Lawn-Boy Gold Series alum deck mower. Only thing replaced was a coil. It's my backup now, since my new Snapper with Briggs power is self-propelled.

An engine that comes to mind...... GM 4.3L V6. I have redlined it many times and around 140,000 on it....it still continues to run. It is in a GMC Safari that gets run up to the speed limiter and still is going strong.

Originally Posted By: DirtyMoe21
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
We used a Toyota 4.7 V8 to replace an industrial engine in a mining operation that turns a ball mill. This is our second such application. If there is a severe classification for a motor vehicle I'd call this service brutal. This engine runs for 8-10 hours at a stretch, fully loaded at 4-5K rpm and we converted it to natural gas. This kind of load would kill an ordinary engine but this Toyota V8 is doing just fine. It has run the equivalent of 100K road miles so far pulling down a tremendous load. The clearance for the mechanical valve lifters is still in spec and it burns very little oil. We've added a larger sump (12 qts), an oil cooler and a larger coolant radiator with a big electric fan because this engine does not move. And we've added a great big paper element air cleaner and a larger than stock oil filter (Mobil 1, M1-209) and a bypass oil filter. For the cooling system we use distilled water and zinc chromate with a water soluble lubricant, a filter and a sacrificial disc. The oil is Red Line 10w-40 and we us no additives. We trust the oil to do it's job without us messing with it. The replacement industrial engine would have been $12K. So we went to the junk yard and got a Toyota pickup with the V8 engine that had about 10K miles before being totaled. You can do a lot with a welder, plasma cutter and some cutting and fitting.

This setup has now been copied by some of our friends in the same business and the results are very good. This is one very good engine.

This is obviously the most impressive example so far in this thread imo, my opinion may be biased because I own a vehicle with this engine. Not many out there could hold together this long under this kind of operation.

Buick Nailheads saw the same use...except they would run 24 hours/day for weeks, powering sawmills. Coolant was often a 55-gallon drum of water. So did Chrysler 413's and Olds 455's.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: DirtyMoe21
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
We used a Toyota 4.7 V8 to replace an industrial engine in a mining operation that turns a ball mill. This is our second such application. If there is a severe classification for a motor vehicle I'd call this service brutal. This engine runs for 8-10 hours at a stretch, fully loaded at 4-5K rpm and we converted it to natural gas. This kind of load would kill an ordinary engine but this Toyota V8 is doing just fine. It has run the equivalent of 100K road miles so far pulling down a tremendous load. The clearance for the mechanical valve lifters is still in spec and it burns very little oil. We've added a larger sump (12 qts), an oil cooler and a larger coolant radiator with a big electric fan because this engine does not move. And we've added a great big paper element air cleaner and a larger than stock oil filter (Mobil 1, M1-209) and a bypass oil filter. For the cooling system we use distilled water and zinc chromate with a water soluble lubricant, a filter and a sacrificial disc. The oil is Red Line 10w-40 and we us no additives. We trust the oil to do it's job without us messing with it. The replacement industrial engine would have been $12K. So we went to the junk yard and got a Toyota pickup with the V8 engine that had about 10K miles before being totaled. You can do a lot with a welder, plasma cutter and some cutting and fitting.

This setup has now been copied by some of our friends in the same business and the results are very good. This is one very good engine.

This is obviously the most impressive example so far in this thread imo, my opinion may be biased because I own a vehicle with this engine. Not many out there could hold together this long under this kind of operation.

Buick Nailheads saw the same use...except they would run 24 hours/day for weeks, powering sawmills. Coolant was often a 55-gallon drum of water. So did Chrysler 413's and Olds 455's.

Ford 300's saw similar use in irrigation pumps and gensets as well as I believe welding carts.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
The list cannot be complete without listing the old Chrysler flathead 6. These were built into the early 70's for use in generators,pumps, and welders. I have one that runs a 4" fire pump thats WWII surplus. It gets approx 50 hrs. of use yearly.

Another Chrysler product is the original Hemi head from the 50's, they were built not only for automotive use but also industrial/marine. There are several of them in use around here.

One engine that has been mentioned several times in this thread was the Chrysler slant 6. I had one of those in a pickup I bought new in '84. Worst engine I ever owned. Some genius never finished machining the camshaft and it starved the top end for oil. After 6 sets of lifters dealer decided to pull it down. It ate starters, cracked exhaust manifolds, and was severely underpowered for how it was geared. Not my idea of a bulletproof engine.

Someone fed you a line...because the slant 6 does not oil the top end through the lifters! (It oils the lifters from the top end, and might be the only engine to do so.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

Someone fed you a line...because the slant 6 does not oil the top end through the lifters! (It oils the lifters from the top end, and might be the only engine to do so.)

The end of the camshaft had a boss that was supposed to have an oil groove cut into it (which did not) that fed the top end of the engine. The boss on the end of the camshaft was essentially the camshaft bearing. No lines were fed to me the service manager showed me the flaw in the machine work as it was warranty work covered by Chrysler. He had the replacement alongside original to show me that some machinist did not complete the job for whatever reason.

I know it's only relevant for Aussie's and Kiwi's, but I'll add another vote for the Ford "Intech" 4.0 inline six from the AU Falcon series. Seriously tough engine.

Lol. Not quite 40 years - the OHC 6 was first released in 1988 in the EA Falcon, and yes, it was a head gasket eating, oil leaking dog. But Ford Oz persevered, and each update saw marked improvement, so by 1998 and the introduction of the AU series, they had it sorted
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hpb
Lol. Not quite 40 years - the OHC 6 was first released in 1988 in the EA Falcon,

The block started life as the old pushrod 170/250, then the crossflow with 3 cyl heads to sort it, then the sohc and finally the dohc. I've never seen inside a dohc, externally the block looks the same configuration, but could be a completely new engine. Right up to the sohc they still had the pencil oil pump drive, a common point of failure. Although in Aust and NZ in hindsight our liking for thicker oils wouldn't of helped.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I can't say I've ever seen an engine more indestructible than the Ford 300 inline 6.
I agree and the 351 Windsor V-8. I hate to admit this but back during cash for clunkers we had to blow up a couple of these in F-150's. I personally sat in a 351 with no oil in it and the "liquid glass" poured in it. I timed it at 15 minutes with my foot basically to the floor before it finally started slowing down and locked up!! Incredible.
cool.gif

Honda CH/CN250

mgNfYhrPD6uyJbzwQ8DXw-A.jpg

Note the black cast iron cylinder.

It is a weirdly industrial unit. Ugly little thing. It's a good thing that no one can see it.

It looks like it would be more at home on some stationary piece of equipment.

It's been cloned to death by the Chinese. If you see a 250cc L/C buggy, it's probably a copy of the old CH/CN250 engine

You seldom see other 250s with over 25,000 miles. You seldom see Helices with less than 25,000.

It was designed when the 55mph speed limit was in effect in the US and 100 km/h in Japan, but it can cruise at 65 all day.

It's even done the Iron Butt
http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/1995.cfm?DocID=3

If we are talking motorcycle engines then the Honda C50 would go to the top of the list. Also now excessively cloned by the Chinese, this little engine just runs and runs with no problems. Maybe not seen as much in the US, it is everywhere in the rest of the world. (I had one for 7 years, given to me, hardly any problems) Compared to engines of larger size, it's bearings, camshaft, gearbox gears etc would be extremely large. A good little engine, still in use today.

The BMW Airhead (1969 - 1996) is also considered very reliable, and although it isn't really, I guess it's just a comparison to other motorcycle engines.

I still think some of the most reliable engines are 1980's\1990's Japanese 4-cylinders...

Toyota 1.5L from the Tercel...I've seen more than one of these run without oil in them, and just keep going.

Honda 1.8L from the Accord...no matter what you do to them, they keep going.

I could come up with more examples, but these two stand out more than others. These motors are truly un-killable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back