If you have both a digital & analog speedo . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analog, I never use the digital speedometer; that display is usually set to fuel economy.

Aesthetically, I prefer the classic look of dual analog gauges for tach & speedo, which is what my cars have.

My motorcycle has an analog tach & digital speedo, and I have to admit I like it. You get what you need to know about RPM & how fast it's changing at a glance, whereas speed doesn't change that fast so digital is fine.

Originally Posted By: grumpyoldman
My motorcycle has an analog tach & digital speedo, and I have to admit I like it. You get what you need to know about RPM & how fast it's changing at a glance, whereas speed doesn't change that fast so digital is fine.

My bike has analog tach and speedo, and I sometimes wish it had digital speedo, too, because the analog one is pretty hard to read... they decided to use a very small font with very little spacing between the numbers.

Originally Posted By: spackard
But you don't know exactly how fast you are going; auto speedometers are set to read from 0 to 10% faster than actual.
So it lies, but some think it's accurate because it's digital.

Yes; many don't realize the distinction between accuracy and precision, and assume that just because something is precise, that it must also be accurate.

I think some of the higher trim levels in the Buicks can display digital readouts of things like oil pressure, oil temp and coolant temp, etc. If I had those, maybe I would leave them up and use the analog speedometer.

Digital. My car has both, but the analog one is hard to read at a glance. I like the screen that displays speed, instant MPG (have a SGII for trip average MPG), and distance to empty.

I've compared the digital speedo with my Garmin GPS and my phone's GPS. It's dead accurate with the full-tread all seasons, and 1 mph slow with the half-tread snow tires.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
I look to be the digital lone wolf here...
I loves me a digital readout.
My watch must be digital, i can tell at a glance what time it actually IS, not "a little after XX:YY"
in my car, the demarcations on the analog Dial are too Few and Far between, esp at night, when all you can see are lines at the 10's and the number only at the 20's(during the day there are little hash marks for each MPH, bu they disappear with the back light)

2009_mercury_sable_sedan_premier_g_oem_1_500.jpg
Night

so i added the scangaugeII I had in my neon, mounted it right in front of the Speedo. with MPH as the upper right readout.
again, i can tell at a glance what my speed is, instead of around "around 45-ish?"
interestingly the scangauge speed, (which comes from the computer via the OBDII port) is always a few MPH+/-the speedo, and may or may not agree with the gps.
I've had 3 different reading many times, usually with in a 3mph spread

Is the scangauge II lit up? I can't really see it in the photos.

So you are saying the speed on the Scangauge II does NOT always agree with the GPS? and neither one of them (always) agrees with the speedo?
I doubt the analogue speedo is the 'correct' one.

I like having an analogue speedo, but I must say in my actual driving I think I refer to the GPS when I get someplace I feel I need a speed check. Otherwise I might have more attention on the throttle position indicator or MPG readout on the scangauge or DIC.

My GPS also has trip data info available on the 'dashboard' feature with the big MPH readout. While my car has that in the driver info center my SUV does not. It's useful to have an average speed for a trip segment. It might help me predict my arrival time or plan for another trip.

I have both, functional at the same time, several guages in my semi truck. Everything is dual, speedometer, tach, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, trans temp, diff temps, turbo boost, etc. I can view any of the gauges as both analog and digital at the same time.

Originally Posted By: datech
Originally Posted By: earlyre
I look to be
2009_mercury_sable_sedan_premier_g_oem_1_500.jpg
Night

so i added the scangaugeII I had in my neon, mounted it right in front of the Speedo. with MPH as the upper right readout.
again, i can tell at a glance what my speed is, instead of around "around 45-ish?"
interestingly the scangauge speed, (which comes from the computer via the OBDII port) is always a few MPH+/-the speedo, and may or may not agree with the gps.
I've had 3 different reading many times, usually with in a 3mph spread

Is the scangauge II lit up? I can't really see it in the photos.

That's because those aren't pics of my car, but ones of the same model binnacle I found via a google search. Don't really have shots of my binnacle.

IMG_20150130_110303395_HDR.jpg

Mine day light today

IMG_20150128_205551699.jpg

Nighttime, a few days back, Scanguage display just out of frame - just wanted to snap a pic of the Odometer, unfortunately had a finger smudge on the lens...

When I test drove a Scion FR-S, I used the digital display. It was far brighter and easier to read than the analog gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back