Nissan CVTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference in shape and profile between Nissan's belt and Subaru's chain leads me to believe that they serve two different purposes inside the transmission...and/or other parts of the transmission (like the friction cones) are designed in tandem with the belt or chain. In other words, I'm not sure any conclusions about reliability can be drawn from looking at two parts out of context.

Instead of referring to Nissan vs Subaru who don't make the transmissions anyway, is it safer to refer to those belt designs as JATCO vs Aisin?
Multiple automakers use each of those transmission manufacturers' products, and they both also make conventional automatics.

Who makes the Subaru CVT? For a while general consensus was Aisin, then it switched to JATCO.

Toyota and Nissan own portions of Aisin and JATCO, respectively.

Aisin has a much better reputation.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I bet that's why the Subaru ones have a significantly better reputation than the Nissan CVTs

Subaru sells A LOT LESS cars than Nissan.
Many more Nissan CVT's on the rd. You might hear of a few more issues because of that alone.

^Good point. Nice fleet of Nissans you got there.

JATCO is 75% owned by Nissan, 15% owned by Mitsubishi Motors, and 10% owned by Suzuki, BTW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anthony

From a quick web search, looks like Nissan sell ~1,000,000 cars a year in the US market, vs ~500,000 for Subaru. So not that much of a difference. Maybe they sell more in other countries?

Quote:
Many more Nissan CVT's on the rd. You might hear of a few more issues because of that alone.

A few more, yes. But I've yet to find a single documented example of a Subaru CVT failure which wasn't due to someone filling it with the wrong transmission fluid. Nissan had to increase the warranty to ten years because so many of theirs were failing.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Who makes the Subaru CVT? For a while general consensus was Aisin, then it switched to JATCO.

LuK make the chain. Looks like FHI make the rest themselves, or did in 2012:

http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/news/press/2012/12_02_23e.html

"The Oizumi Plant, one of Gunma plants, produces the all types of Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine (1.6-liter, 2.0-liter, 2.5-liter and 3.6-liter) and all transmissions, including the Lineartronic-CVT."

Originally Posted By: Xeno
^Good point. Nice fleet of Nissans you got there.

JATCO is 75% owned by Nissan, 15% owned by Mitsubishi Motors, and 10% owned by Suzuki, BTW.

Thanks. The top 3 are the ones my parents drive. Of course I do all the maintence.

Originally Posted By: emg

From a quick web search, looks like Nissan sell ~1,000,000 cars a year in the US market, vs ~500,000 for Subaru. So not that much of a difference. Maybe they sell more in other countries?

Quote:

A few more, yes. But I've yet to find a single documented example of a Subaru CVT failure which wasn't due to someone filling it with the wrong transmission fluid. Nissan had to increase the warranty to ten years because so many of theirs
were failing.

The warranty was increased because consumers were cautious of this new transmission that felt weird, and didn't shift.

Nissan sold 1,386,895 vehicles for 2014 in the US.

Last edited:
The warranty was increased because consumers were cautious of this new transmission that felt weird, and didn't shift.

Yes, because they kept breaking.

When we were thinking of buying a Rogue, we found several posts from people who were onto their third or fourth CVT, multiple videos on Youtube showing CVT failures, and Nissan had to extend the warranty and pay for previous out-of-warranty CVT repairs. This isn't exactly secret knowledge.

You won't find even a third as many people having problems with Subaru's CVTs.

I forgot that you will only find problems with Nissans on YouTube and the Internet.
You tube , and Google isn't full of any other makes or models with problems.

Of course you won't find a 3rd of Subarus. What were the sales numbers again?

Last edited:
Didn't Subaru just start making CVTs? Nissan has had them for over a decade now. I think a lot of CVT failures have been incorrect fluid use, but I hear that about all transmission fluids.

ref

Originally Posted By: refaller
Didn't Subaru just start making CVTs? Nissan has had them for over a decade now. I think a lot of CVT failures have been incorrect fluid use, but I hear that about all transmission fluids.

ref

Subaru had a CVT back in 1989. Recent ones go back to ~2010.

Originally Posted By: emg

Yes, because they kept breaking.

And yet Consumer Reports reliability charts show big red circles from 2011 thru 2014.

Originally Posted By: refaller

ref

A lot of people say that ... but how does that explain the extremely high failure rate of the ones that have not had the fluid touched.

I mean, isn't that why people have most Nissans? Lease it for $100 a month and never maintain it?

I don't want to predict why people buy any car. I would like to know what an "extremely" high failure rate is though and when Nissan's CVTs were "extremely" high. I can't find anything that gives actual percentage rates other than my earlier quoted article that says the later editions are more reliable than other automatics.

ref

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back