NV4500 in 03 Silverado 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Why are you changing it at 50k when the owner's manual states 200k. Yeah, guess I'll be a guinea pig and run an unapproved dangerous fluid.

Does your Syntorque smell of gear oil?

Called a dealer today and they want a dollar an ounce for 12346190.

My service manual doesn't indicate a service interval for the manual transmission. I use 50k for all of my manuals, somewhat less for any autos I own. Personal choice after burning up an auto transmission following GMs recommended intervals. I'm too cheap to ever replace another transmission if I can help it.

I do remember it smelled, but can't remember what it smelled like.

When I bought the fluid, I was a member of a local Camaro club that had a connection with a Chevrolet dealer's parts department, got a good price so I bought extra. I see that GM Parts Direct sells it now for $19.95 a quart, but I don't know if shipping kills the deal. You might take that price to your dealer and see if they can come close to matching it.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
You were right AMR7, 3/8ths Allen. Got my Bondhus today and it lacked the 3/8" key, so i chanced it and held a 5 second grunt on the HF one I bad mouthed earlier. First time using it and it did well, 3/8" was the largest SAE in the set.

Never really understood the overtorquing of fill plugs, thing had red/orange loctite on it, or it could be the stuff they put on engine temp sensors since the threads were the same color on them.

I called Magna and they have no technical division, the lady was a bit befuddled when i asked for transmission fluid recommendations.

Stuck my finger in the check plug and out came a pretty clear gear oil smelling fluid, so I dont know if the PO put in gear oil OR that is factory fill and is still at a perfect level at 165,000 miles?

Thanks to all who contributed!!!!
Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
At 50k, my fluid looked new, and the level might never change if it doesn't leak. Your guess is as good as mine if it has been changed.
If you use something other than Syntorq LT, keep us informed how it does. I want to hear how it's holding up at 400k miles.;)

I had one apart at somewhere north of 150k to repair the 5th gear retaining nut, and again to repair a worn out 2nd gear syncro. I can say that while the oil that was in there "looked" good and relatively clean, there was a very light gray coating on everything in the trans and the oil had a light gray color to it. I'm assuming it was wear metal and syncro material.

The new (OEM) oil was about as clear as tap water.

You can't judge a fluid by its looks. UOA is needed.

Manual transmissions don't deal with combustion byproducts and MT oil doesn't have any dyes to discolor/darken like ATF. I don't think I've ever seen bad MT gear oil, even in a broken manual transmission. Spilled some perfectly good looking gear oil on the road a few times after cracking transmission cases, breaking gears, wiping out bushings, and destroying bearings. Just because fluid looks good doesn't mean it is.

Maintain it or UOA it.

The fluid that came out was almost clear, a very light motor oil color. The new oil that went in was about as clear, but had a faint red atf color to it.

The shift to third still isnt smooth, but is more affirmative. Took right under a gallon.

Will let ya'll know if anything breaks.

Maybe there is some linkage I can oil or grease to get smoother shifting, but I am not expecting much with a HD transmission.

I have changed the clutch DOT 3 two or three times. It was very dirty.

BTW, off topic, the brake fluid was pitch and apparently got pretty hot as there is scale in the MC reservoir. I can rub my finger in there and get some slime, i dont know if new fluid has any cleaning ability, but I already have new fluid in there, now just waiting for good weather and energy to get a good bleed on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back