Shell Helix HX7 10w40 API SN ZDDP content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I'm currently running this oil without issues but am due a change soon. I've read elsewhere on the site that this oil has 1200-1300 PPM of ZDDP. Can that really be the case when it carries the API SN rating? I thought it had to be 800 PPM or less to comply with that standard.

Like I said I'm not burning it or leaking it and the PO of my car has commented that it sounds a little quieter on the HX7. It is an older vehicle though so I'd be happier knowing for sure that the stuff contains a healthy dose of ZDDP. Other oils I'm considering are Mobil Super 2000 X1 10w40 and Fuchs Titan MC 10w40.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: contrarian
Hi All

I'm currently running this oil without issues but am due a change soon. I've read elsewhere on the site that this oil has 1200-1300 PPM of ZDDP. Can that really be the case when it carries the API SN rating? I thought it had to be 800 PPM or less to comply with that standard.

The 800 ppm limit only applies to Xw-20 and Xw-30 grades.

800 phos limit is for ILSAC/API Resource conserving service cat.

You can buy a 10w30 multipurpose with big zddp. It gets depleted under stress, so best to buy additive and add over time to your fav lube.

Thanks guys. I never knew the heavier weights were exempt. I know the ZDDP gets depleted quite quickly but I'm on 2k mile OCI's. My car does a lot of short journeys and has k-jet mechanical injection so fuel dilution is a concern.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back