What Years Are Affected With Those Bad Air Bags?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading a lot about air bags that are dangerous and some that have disabled people or even worse..
What years are affected by them? I am wondering if my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe my daughter is driving is one of them>. Or my sons 2001 Toyota Avalon.

Even then, you could still have a faulty airbag, as the vehicle manufacturers will not issue recalls until a % threshold is met...

Originally Posted By: zpinch
Even then, you could still have a faulty airbag, as the vehicle manufacturers will not issue recalls until a % threshold is met...

pzv5j7l.jpg

Originally Posted By: jorton
How can I disable air bags in my vehicles?

Good luck with that.

My '14 was just recalled for the airbag issue. Parts are not available yet, so I get to keep my fingers crossed.

This week more models were added to the recall list, and there will probably be more. It sounds like Takada are in all models to me.

If it's possible to disable airbags would you it in your vehicles?

Originally Posted By: jorton
This week more models were added to the recall list, and there will probably be more. It sounds like Takada are in all models to me.

If it's possible to disable airbags would you it in your vehicles?

I wouldn't just on the off chance I was in an accident and insurance would want to know why they did not deploy.

The air bag issue only matters if in the off chance you get in a frontal collision. Furthermore you have to get a bad one within those produced during that time period. The chances of that relatively low too.

My wife's car has a "defective" Takata in the passenger only. So not only do we I need to be riding in her car(10% of miles), she needs a frontal collision and an actual defective one. I feel like I have better odds with the state lottery.

That all being said it is sad to those who have perished or really injured by the faulty ones.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I wouldn't just on the off chance I was in an accident and insurance would want to know why they did not deploy.

I agree 100%. Your risk of injury (and legal trouble) after disabling a safety device is likely far higher than simply leaving it alone. Consider if you had a passenger in your car and you got into an accident, and the passenger's lawyer sued you because your passenger was injured and they claimed that you contributed to it by disabling the airbag. I'm afraid your defense of, "I pulled the plug because it was one of those Takata airbags," won't hold water. Your insurance company probably wouldn't find the humor in that, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back