Pushing a clutch slave rod back into the cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to embark on a minor "repair" to hopefully fix a squeak the occurs sometimes when pressing the clutch pedal in one of my cars. The recommendation I've gotten is to lube the surface where the clutch slave cylinder pushrod presses (and rubs) against the lever connected to the clutch fork. This will involve pressing the pushrod slightly back into the slave cylinder.

Theoretically lightly pushing backward on the pushrod for only a very short distance should not cause any problems, right? It seems like it should just maybe raise the fluid level slightly (imperceptibly, probably) in the reservoir. Are there any seals that could be damaged or bypassed by this?

The cup in the slave cylinder could possibly be damaged if the system is in poor condition, by corrosion or a build up of debris. Not likely though.

I would recommend pushing the fork forward instead.

Last edited:
I've done that to "bleed" the line. Back and forth...lets the bubbles up. Just don't get excited and spill the reservoir. No harm in it.

I'll push the fork instead if I can but I'm guessing it's going to take more force to do that than I can comfortably apply on whatever little piece of lever is accessible. I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back