Low oil level light again. Subaru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read from Subaru techs, the problem with FB20s that consume oil is the piston rings. Unfortunately, if you piston rings are really toast then going to a heavier grade oil probably won't significantly reduce blow-by.

When I was looking for a vehicle, I bypassed Subaru due to the consumption issues and went with my Toyota. I know a good portion of the FB25 and FB20 engines don't have an issue, but I didn't feel like rolling the dice.

Originally Posted By: MichiganMadMan
Did you have a change in your driving schedule, by any chance?

My 2013 Forester with the FB25 is fine....unless I run high-speed interstate for a long trip. It will behave fine around town, even on expressways, but will randomly gulp a quart of oil on a long highway trip. I haven't figured out exactly what triggers it yet, but it comes and goes.

MMM

I agree; it seems to use oil on long highway trips, but in the city doesn't go down. I check mine religiously after a 700 km round trip I do quite often. I usually have to add a little. I like to keep it at the full line.

This will be the last Subaru I ever own, some good things about it, but the use of oil in a new vehicle, I'm not comfortable with that. I have never had a vehicle before that 'used oil'.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
"Using" some oil may be beneficial to the intake and EX valve stem lubrication and having a good cyl combustion seal.

Could be Arco.

As much as I like my Subaru, it's a frustrating bugger. The next day after I topped up with the 1.5qts, I checked level with the car stone-cold. It was like 18degF out. The level read above full on one side of the stick, and a bit above mid-way on the other. No matter how many times you plunge and re-wipe, it's the same. Check the level on a hot engine and it reads consistent side/side on the dipstick.

This is when parked on a level surface.

Originally Posted By: JTK
"Using" some oil may be beneficial to the intake and EX valve stem lubrication and having a good cyl combustion seal.

Could be Arco.

As much as I like my Subaru, it's a frustrating bugger. The next day after I topped up with the 1.5qts, I checked level with the car stone-cold. It was like 18degF out. The level read above full on one side of the stick, and a bit above mid-way on the other. No matter how many times you plunge and re-wipe, it's the same. Check the level on a hot engine and it reads consistent side/side on the dipstick.

Cold, go with the lower measurement. Really the oil can draw up a bit when more viscous, getting dragged upward on one side of the dipstick. The lower reading is the correct one.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Originally Posted By: JTK

Could be Arco.

Cold, go with the lower measurement. Really the oil can draw up a bit when more viscous, getting dragged upward on one side of the dipstick. The lower reading is the correct one.

Depends on the dipstick too. If it hits the sump at an angle you will get different readings on either side. It may say in the manual which side is correct.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails

Certainly plausible.

This still seems ridiculous to me. I've never had a vehicle or piece of dipstick equipped equipment where this type of variable reading is such an issue.

Thankfully Subaru's "low oil level" warning light is set at a conservative level, giving you time to top up.

Like I've said in many threads, the EJ253 in my 2012 Legacy CVT used no noticeable amount of oil in the ~40K miles I owned it. I broke that car in by holding the CVT in lower "gear".

I did a similar break in with my 5spd equipped 2014 XV Crosstrek. Successive WOT throttle runs (no redlining), and letting it compression brake down to a slow speed. Do I think this type of procedure is needed today? Absolutely not. I like to pretend it's 1960 sometimes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
There are a lot of theories out there, including the already mentioned MT vs CVT, break in technique, and manufacture date. The latter theory is shot however with some 14s having issues.

Supposedly the piston rings were fixed in mid-2013, so I'd guess that was probably about half-way through the 2014s by the time they used up any already-assembled bad engines and shipped the cars across the Pacific?

Our Forester has a build date of early 2014 (March, I think?) and doesn't burn any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back