Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20, 16,065 Miles, 2005 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is SM formula Pennzoil Ultra. Enjoy!

Code:

LAB NAPA/WIX

MAKE HONDA

MODEL CIVIC LX

ENGINE 1.7 SOHC

YEAR 2005

OIL PU (SM) TROP ARTIC TROP ARTIC

WEIGHT 5W-20 5W-20 5W-20

MILES IN USE 16,065 14,102 10,017

MILES 174,343 158,278 144,176

SAMPLE TAKEN 09/10/2014 01/11/2014 06/22/2013

IRON 10 11 7

CHROMIUM
LEAD 5 3 3

COPPER 13 11 3

TIN 1 2
ALUMINUM 7 5 4

NICKEL
SILVER
TITANIUM
VANADIUM

SILICON 22 22 16

SODIUM 17 17 5

POTASSIUM 6 6
WATER
COOLANT NO NO NO

MAGNESIUM 8 1 8

CALCIUM 2893 2313 2199

BARIUM
PHOSPHORUS 740 699 633

ZINC 922 862 736

MOLYBDENUM 61 81 64

BORON 95 32 52

SUS VIS 210ºF 9.7 8.9 8.4

TBN 2.4 1.7

TAN 3.43

Looks good, but what really catches my eye is that the Trop Artic looks to have done really well too. Considering the price of it, I now understand why everyone who uses Trop Artic says it's the best sleeper oil out there.

Oh, I see it alright. Not only did he go 16k with no issues, but it seems to have done fantastic as well, with more than twice the engine mileage of my friend's car.

Thanks. This has been a big help.

Very nice #'s for a 16k run. What type of usage - city, highway, temperatures encountered? Any makeup oil added? Thanks for posting.

I think you should back off to 12K. The copper is much higher than it should be. While not alarming, something is going on with a bearing or bushing.

Keep your eye on the copper and lead.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think you should back off to 12K. The copper is much higher than it should be. While not alarming, something is going on with a bearing or bushing.

It's not rod or crank bearings as lead and tin are normal.

Originally Posted By: tig1

It's not rod or crank bearings as lead and tin are normal.

Well there are bushings/bearings for the cam. Wrist pin? I also think you may see copper first then bit latter lead for a crank or rod bearings.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Looks good, but what really catches my eye is that the Trop Artic looks to have done really well too. Considering the price of it, I now understand why everyone who uses Trop Artic says it's the best sleeper oil out there.

I believe that TropArtic is the same as Motorcraft

I like how Pennzoil flirts with the 800PPM max with ZDP in their Ultra product - Doping levels must be closely monitored. On the other hand, a 50ppm difference between this and other products is likely a moot argument
smile.gif

No makeup oil. I have a 4 mile drive to work but once a week I take a class that is a 100 mile round trip. I also take frequent weekend trips out of town so the vast majority of miles are highway. I don't believe this run encountered extreme temperatures in either direction. Oklahoma can get pretty hot but 2014 wasn't bad at all.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Originally Posted By: sicko

I believe that TropArtic is the same as Motorcraft

it is not.

Thanks for posting. Gotta think the Trop Artic on the 14K run was shot since it had a 1.7 tbn at 10K but all 3 Uoa are impressive.

This is the first time I've ever agreed with Donald on anything in any post----we must both be wrong?

Seriously I think you should back the OCI down to 12K max. Copper has doubled and lead on the rise---no reason in the world to try and get the last penny's worth of value from the oil

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
by the looks of it id keep running trop artic at 10k oci's. it protected just as well for half the money.

That was the plan until a WM clearance corresponded with a Pennzoil MIR. I stashed 4 jugs of PU at $2 per quart, the same as Trop Artic on sale.

I started running longer OCI's just to see how far I could go. Guess it is time to back off and hone in on the sweet spot.

This goes to demonstrate that TBN is not the only deciding factor in oil longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back