Cheap, used 4x4 SUV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen! I wish to learn a bit from your collective and varied knowledge base. Now before I start, I realize there really is no such thing as a cheap suv. Been looking at the mid sized models. Older Jeep Cherokee's, Chevy Blazer's, Ford Explorer's, and such. About 1999 or so, up to 2003 or 4. Got a budget of about $5500. This is vehicle #3 for us so I'm not going to put a pile of money (hopefully) into it. Looked at a couple Explorer's. Going to look at a Blazer and Cherokee this weekend. I'm really leaning towards the Cherokee. It is my opinion (right or wrong) that the Cherokee has the best reliability record. It also has a solid front axle. Are there any glaring deficiencies in any of these models? The best one may very well be the one that has the best maintenance record's. Any older high mileage vehicle is a [censored] shoot, especially a 4x4, but I'd enjoy listening to your experience's here.

The 4.0 six is supposed to be very reliable. Not sure about the ones with the head issues, but that is looked up easily.

At that age, the individual vehicle matters far more than any supposed reliability record.

2000-2001 Tahoe. Legendary 5.3. $5500 will get you into one with 130-150k.

1998-9 Tahoe w/ 5.7. 3500.00 will get you a clean example with similar mileage.

Those years of I6 Jeeps are the ones affected by the bad head castings. You can get an improved head.

Cherokees are great, if you find one that hasn't been hacked up yet. They are a little more crude than their competition, but better suited to trail use out of the box.

Personally, I like Explorers. Pretty straightforward to work on, great parts availability, and durable. My 1995 was rock solid mechanically, but eaten up by rust. If it wasn't for the rust, I'd probably still have it. Explorers had plastic rocker cladding that hid rust. Check the metal part of the rockers for rust. Also, look at the radiator support. Mine came from PA.

Blazers are good too, but also prone to rust up north. The "spider" fuel injection can also be problematic, but all the parts for it are still readily available.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If you can find a 5.0L Explorer, snap it up!

I would in a minute! I'm a bit suspicious of the 4.0 SOHC in these years.

Originally Posted By: HM12460

If you find a SOHC that's running its likely had all the updates done to it. Mine has been good for 15 years. Oil sprayed so its rust free. The 5.0 is a great motor, but you have to get the less desirable all wheel drive. Many have swapped that TC out for a real part time unit with great success.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Looking for reliability ? I would consider a Toyota 4Runner.

Very true regarding reliability but check carefully for rust issues - especially on the frame. Toyota had big issues with frame rust - it is easy to find information about this on the 'net.

Andrew S.

A dealer had a 05 Durango 4WD SLT with 112k miles for 6100.. great deal would have gotten it if i didn't buy the Yukon.

Also, Don't forget about the Trailblazers as well. They came with 4WD option as well.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

If you find a SOHC that's running its likely had all the updates done to it. Mine has been good for 15 years. Oil sprayed so its rust free. The 5.0 is a great motor, but you have to get the less desirable all wheel drive. Many have swapped that TC out for a real part time unit with great success.

On a six cylinder automatic Explorer also check the transmission's function and condition carefully. The A4LD/4R55/5R55 family of transmissions aren't the strongest units out there.

Andrew S.

I'd watch out on those Explorers with any engine. When I service them, they are generally in ridiculously poor shape.

I can highly recommend a Grand Cherokee. I went through this exact process months ago, and the choice I made is obvious.

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0 engine

What has gone wrong
1) Engine had catastrophic failure at 96K, cracked piston skirt, got a reman. engine.
2) Transmission pressure sensor/governor, twice using OEM parts, $500 a pop
3) Upgrade from substandard Teves calipers to Akebono (TSB mentions this) due to [censored] brakes

What has not failed, but I am aware of
1) #331 casting head

But I still love my Jeep!!

Originally Posted By: dnastrau
Originally Posted By: Bluestream

On a six cylinder automatic Explorer also check the transmission's function and condition carefully. The A4LD/4R55/5R55 family of transmissions aren't the strongest units out there.

Andrew S.

A lot of the transmission issues on '97-'01 models are related to the valve body gaskets leaking. Reman valve bodies and gasket kits are readily available and it's not a major repair. If the transmission is driven for a long time on a blown out valve body gasket, it will wear the clutches out and require a full rebuild. Caught in time though, the transmission can live a long life if it gets good maintenance after the valve body is taken care of.

My '02 Ranger 5R44E has factory updated gaskets and still shifts great at 164K miles, and I have beaten on this transmission. Many high RPM shifts and lots of towing. 1 filter and 30K mi fluid changes from new.

My Explorer had a trouble-free transmission too, that one a 4R55E.

The tranny in my '97 died and had to be rebuilt. My buddy had a 99 (IIRC) with the 5.0L backed by the 4R75W (or 4R70W can't remember which is in those) and it never skipped a beat, despite making a lot more power. Yes, the AWD for some may be less than desirable but we never had any issues with it.

I went thru the same thing last fall. In anticipation of another snowy winter I had gotten tired of the Grand Marquis in the snow so I garaged it for the winter. Used 4x4's are not cheap in Chicago but I found a 2001 Blazer with 34K on the odometer for $6500. The combination of low mileage and price made me buy it. The only downside has been the horrific gas mileage. I'd think a V6 could do better than the 13mpg I am now averaging, but I do live in Chicago and city driving kills mileage.

From what I saw for sale it seemed the Blazers/Bravadas were cheaper than other 4x4's. Jeeps were expensive, but the older Jeep Libertys were not too bad. I wanted one of those but ended up with the Blazer because of the low mileage. Look at them if you are doing more rural driving you'd touch 20mpg. But not in town. Weak points are ball joints and the ABS module. Strong point is the motor. Supposedly based on the 350 Chevy with two cylinders removed, they last forever. My buddy put over 250K on his before the trans went out, but the motor ran fine.

Last edited:
Jeep Cherokee's are fantastic there are thousands of 4.0 strait 6 engines out there with over 200,000 miles there were some head problem and also piston skirt issues but not nearly as bad as some online wants you to believe. All we do is engines and that is one of the good ones 2000-2001 jeep strait 6 are super reliable in my professional opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back