Volvo transmission drain/ fill question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have YouTube'd a few helpful how-to videos and one guy just replenished the fluid as it came out and another drained the sump and and removed/ added as needed until it was red and clean. Neither guy dropped the pan.

From what I gathered from both videos, they dont have transmission filters (seems asinine to me) and the drain plug is the magnet as well. Is this true? Overall seems simple.. still dreading it though. Most likely going to use Maxlife rather than the Mobil 3309.

Thanks guys.

On my '07 Fusion (AWF21)(probably the same or similar to the Aisin in your Volvo) I used Toyota T-IV which is easier to get a hold of than branded 3309. To be clear, Toyota T-IV actually IS Mobil 3309. My assumption is that some multi-application fluid was in there prior to my ownership, and since doing a triple drain and fill, the transmission shifts SO perfect for having 120k on it.

Also, I just used the drain plug in the pan for the drain/fill. The filter is inside the case. If you want to add a filter, you can still add a magnefine in-line filter.

the aisin 5-speed AT in volvo is really weird, and I have it in saturn ion, too. it's surprisingly small and the shifts are not smooth.
the pan is not in the bottom, but in the front. the magnets and filter are deep inside the tranny and not (easily) replaceable.
the dipstic is very low and short and hard to find. the drain plug is near the driveshaft and doesn't look like a drain plug.
i've seen plenty of aisin trannies, but this one looks like designed by martians.

I guess I should have specified that its a 2002, but jacek seemed to sum it up. The dipstick is in a terrible location and the drain plug is a 24mm bolt IIRC.

Shouldnt the filters be replaced and the magnets be cleaned though? I would be worried the filter would get loaded up enough to starve the transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Shouldnt the filters be replaced and the magnets be cleaned though? I would be worried the filter would get loaded up enough to starve the transmission.

no, because they are deep inside and you would have to take the whole thing apart to get to them, really weird design.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I guess I should have specified that its a 2002, but jacek seemed to sum it up. The dipstick is in a terrible location and the drain plug is a 24mm bolt IIRC.

No, I cooler line flush all my Toyota Aisin transmissions with the WS fluid every 50,000 miles. I trade at 200k and they shift like new. All the dealers tell me to never drop the pan. Most of the gunk in the pan goes out with the fluid. So since I flush at 50k it never really builds up. The filters in the Toyotas are rock catcher screens.

Last edited:
C'mon dlundblad, a 2002 Volvo WHAT with how many miles? Why these half-baked sentences?
You open the 24mm drain plug and let the bad stuff drain.
Don't forget to have an aluminum washer (serves as a gasket) ready.
I've used name brand Mobil 3309 (found a case in Virginia), 2 cases of Toyota T-IV (dealership), 2 cases of Wolf's Head Ultra Synthetic Universal Transmission Fluid and am currently using jugs of Valvoline MaxLife I bought on sale.
We have 6 of these units in the 'family'.
There are no problems using any of the fluids I mentioned.
I add LubeGard (red bottle) to my 2002 V70 as it had a bit of clunking.
The LubeGard worked very well. I recommend it highly. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
C'mon dlundblad, a 2002 Volvo WHAT with how many miles? Why these half-baked sentences?

2002 Volvo S60 2.4T with roughly 145k.
smile.gif

As far as I know, it has the original fluid. I feel the ATF should be drained and filled for preventative maintenance. I guess the horror stories are whats holding me back.. What if too much gunk is let loose inside the system and clogs the filter? Should I do a partial drain and fill and come back to it a year later?

At this point, is it best to just let it go until it has issues? Its the GFs car and she drives like 6k a year if that.

Last edited:
The transmission would have already failed if there was so much gunk in it. You can't loosen up anything that is already suspended in the fluid. And the little dust the settles inside the pan is NOTHING measurable.

Don't live your life in fear of people who don't have a clue.

I serviced over 2500 transmissions of all mileages/ages and NONE failed from the service.

Do a drain/refill and repeat a few weeks later. Keep driving.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
the aisin 5-speed AT in volvo is really weird, and I have it in saturn ion, too. it's surprisingly small and the shifts are not smooth.
the pan is not in the bottom, but in the front. the magnets and filter are deep inside the tranny and not (easily) replaceable.
the dipstic is very low and short and hard to find. the drain plug is near the driveshaft and doesn't look like a drain plug.
i've seen plenty of aisin trannies, but this one looks like designed by martians.

+1 the first model Chev Equinoxs have an AW 5 speed and they are the strangest design. The drain plug looks like every other bolt and the dipstick/fill tube is almost impossible to service with the transmission mount exactly where you don't want it to be. I have used Mobil 3309 and the shifts were alright but become a lot stronger/crisp when I switched over to maxlife and a bottle of LGR after the second drain and fill. Very happy with the fluid

Hello, A drain & fill is a passive process. It is not to be compared to the slamming a "flushing machine" does.
You'll just be gently dissolving dirt away with the new fluid. The torque converter holds a lot of dirt so subsequent "D&F"s will be dark for a while.
That'll give you ample occasion to find fluid on sale. Kira

So basically drain and fill the transmission and do a cooler line flush until the fluid appears clean and all is good?

When the fluid level is checked, does it have to be in neutral or will the pump move the fluid in park too?

IMHO, drain and fill is good enough and should be gentle on the tranny. to check the fluid, you do like any other tranny, cycle the shifter through all positions and leave in park with engine running.

i just did it in my ion this last weekend. the old fluid was burgundy, but looked more like brown when blotted. weird. I posted a picture on saturnfans.

I bought a 2007 XC70 with some really nasty trans fluid at 100k. Aisin transmission. I did the drain/refill with 3309, 5 times over the past 6k miles. There is no drain pan, and the filter is deep in the transmission (remove transmission to change the filter).

From the drain plug, it was 3q out and 3q into the dipstick hole. Must use a pump to get the fluid in. Before, a transmission shop suggested a rebuild due to weird shifting and terrible fluid condition ($4000!!). Now, shifts are fast and smooth - the fluid is fresh and clear. All good.

I sourced the 3309 on Amazon for ~$36 a case(6 qts). Wife's Lexus takes the same fluid. Way cheaper than the dealer or indy mechanic at $250-$350 for the power-flush. I would try MaxLife instead of 3309 if I had it to do all over again.

A drain/ fill devery few months sounds reasonable until the fluid gets pretty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back