DIY and your vehicle warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never even had to show a single receipt for oil or filter to get any warranty work done on the last three new cars we owned. I was doing all the work, oil, brakes, transmission fluid, etc. I kept the receipts, but never had to show a single one. One car was a Honda and the other two were Fords.

Originally Posted By: dtownfb
Toyota has an "Owner's" website where you register your car (with VIN) and you can track and record all the maintenance on your car.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Mazda also has an Owners site where you input your records. Ed

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
I use Acura's owners website.
They have a page where I can document service. I do this with extensive detail.
Date
Mileage
Service: oil change, transmission fluid change, etc
Materials used and amounts.
Service reminder details
miscellaneous information: crush washers used, torque values for bolts, etc

^^^These. Subaru has it also and any service they do shows up in the service history too.

With my last new car purchase, the 4Runner in my sig, I kept a spiral notebook as a log book of all work done. You can't mess with inserting pages later. I carefully stapled or glued receipts to the pages along with a piece of the packaging for filters etc. I also kept an oil sample for all engine, transmission and differential oil changes and the old filters and 'o' rings sealed in plastic bags and coolant samples, as well. I had my neighbor sign off as a witness. He's a Sergeant in the local Sheriff's department. (he and I change oil and do other maintenance in my garage on the weekends). I also staple a small piece of the local newspaper showing the date. I did all this because of a warranty problem with Audi and having to go to war with them to get work done on their shop queen that I owned. Audi treated me like the enemy and from the start assumed that I was not telling the truth even with receipts. They stated that the receipts only proved that someone purchased those product but did not prove it was me or that the work was ever done. Eventually I won the battle but I will never ever go near an Audi/VW vehicle again.

I Do 3 Things:

* Keep receipts in each vehicle's maintenance folder in the house.

* Keep a running log of maintenance details in a small notebook in the glove box of each vehicle.

* Keep an electronic record of maintenance on each vehicle manufactures' website.

For my tractor, I keep all the receipts in a folder and then write the tractor hours and date of service on them. I always get OEM filters as well so there's no question that they have the right specs.
The tracker only needed 8 oil changes in its brief warranty period, so keeping track of those was easy.

I have been fastidious about OCI receipts, but Im starting to believe that it doesn't matter. In fact, I just lost my walmart receipt for that last jug of supertech Syn I just put in the rogue 2.5 4 banger!
If the oil is clean and serviceable then they wont question your OCI. Worst case ,If they take a sample for an engine failure be there to take a sample same time, in person, also and - be sure chose and send sample to an AccREDITED lab.

I generally keep records for my cars even when not covered by a warranty ... one of the first things they ask when you trade in a car is if you have the service records. If you do you can usually get a bit more $$ for your trade-in lol

Each car has a little notebook that gets any sort of service done entered. All receipts go in to an envelope in the glove box as well in date order. Even if it goes in for warranty work, I buy tires or anything else, that gets logged and the receipt goes in the envelope. I also write on the OCI receipts when the service was done since I have a stash of oil. My stash is about 90 quarts of oil and 14 oil filters currently with receipts for each purchase taped to them that I might have purchased months (or longer) ago.

On a related note, I have been scanning and reprinting receipts lately. It seems like Auto zone, Meijer and WALMART receipts (and probably others) have disappearing ink or something. I look at the receipt sometime later, and it is either very faded or blank in places. I have also noticed that on some receipts where I apply the tape to an area that has printing (like the Meijer banner at the top of the receipt), the black ink disappears behind the tape. Everywhere around it still has the banner, just under the tape is gone. I could see getting called out at a dealer for receipts and have them come out of the envelope blank. That would be my luck...

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
How do you prove that you changed your oil, plugs, and general maintenance things while under warranty? Ive always wondered if they can deny a claim based on the fact that you did everything yourself.

If you do the oil changes, replace filters, fluids and plugs as per your owners manual maintenance schedule & using the recommended fluids for your vehicle it should have no sign of neglect which is what your dealer must be able to prove to deny your warranty. Missing receipts would be one way the dealer can back that claim so keep them with you stapled together with a maintenance sheet of everything that you did on that service date (no different than what the dealer gives you.)

I have done a lot of my own lube and oil changes, as well as minor repairs on every vehicle I have owned, both personal and commercial, and I have had warranty work done a few times, and I have NEVER been asked anything regarding proof of anything. I do document services in financial spreadsheets for my commercial stuff, but that is it. I don't keep a file or shoe box with individual receipts and such primarily because I don't buy things one oil change at a time. I buy everything in bulk quantities when I need to restock. Some of my engines cost more than most folk's complete vehicle. I have never worried about a warranty claim, never had even a question regarding what I do and when I did it, what oil I was using, etc. Except for internet folklore, I have never seen warranty denials going on except only in very extreme cases where it was indisputable that the owner really went outside the bounds of anything that could be called sensible.

After several hundred thousand dollars of commercial equipment, and over 4 decades of personal vehicle ownership, I have my paranoia gland totally under control.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Except for internet folklore, I have never seen warranty denials going on except only in very extreme cases where it was indisputable that the owner really went outside the bounds of anything that could be called sensible.

Alberta man denied warranty

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
How do you prove that you changed your oil, plugs, and general maintenance things while under warranty? Ive always wondered if they can deny a claim based on the fact that you did everything yourself.

We have performed all maintenance on our fleet in-house for decades now. Never had a problem with warranty except for instances where the stealership was unfamiliar with our aftermarket equipment that is installed by our Factory Authorized upfitter.

One quick phone call to them and the GM engineer that works with them straightens the stealer right out!

I keep my own spread sheet and also enter everything into Ford owners website.

I keep a logbook in each car, but receipts are kept elsewhere (like with all other receipts). Too OCD to have receipts stored in multiple locations.

But so far, I buy cars and then rack up high miles: first I drive out of warranty, with no issues. And then get rid of when no one cares about receipts.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
While admittedly it was quite some time ago, I can think of one case of us asking for any sort of records when I worked in dealerships. The car had over 20,000 miles on it, the oil ran out like tar and it had the factory installed filter on it. Incidentally the owner provided a notebook of "records" that was nice and new, had no greasy fingerprints and was written in the same pen... the factory rep said "nope, sorry".

That does make perfect sense. After all, one piece of evidence did not match another piece of evidence, and one was much more believable.

It depends on how the car company supports the dealerships. While the dealer gets paid less for warranty work than for "retail" customer work, they still get paid. This is not as bad as having an angry former customer. While we think that the car company needs to prove that the owner failed to do the required maintenance, just stonewalling the customer works in most cases. You need your car to get to work, etc. Rather than fight, hire a lawyer and an expert witness for a repair worth a few thousand dollars, just pay and go away mad.

As noted above, any warranty denial can only be on a part where the service to that part is in question. Failure to change the oil must not be claimed as cause for a heater fan failure, etc.

If I was taking a car in for a warranty claim on an oil lubricated part, I'd draw an oil sample for testing first. I'd have an independent licensed auto repair shop pull the sample, charge me for their time, and have the paperwork. I'd insist that the dealership pull another sample while I watched, and document, maybe photograph, this. The oil sample may show sky high wear metals--there's a failure--but the oil should be OK with acceptable levels of oxidation, viscosity, no fuel or coolant dilution unless that's the reason for the problem, etc.

Originally Posted By: Oily_hair
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Except for internet folklore, I have never seen warranty denials going on except only in very extreme cases where it was indisputable that the owner really went outside the bounds of anything that could be called sensible.

Alberta man denied warranty

Yes, one can always dig out a individual somewhere to support any contention. Politicians do it all the time at State of the Union and State of the State addresses. But one or two does not make a pattern. All paranoia aside.

I keep a small notebook in each of my vehicles of everything I do to them as well as date, mileage, part numbers, brands, warranty info, and where I bought the parts.

I keep the receipts in individual folders in the house. I'm pretty anal about keeping track of maintenance and repair information.

Wayne

I'm terrible at keeping any record of anything. Luckily I don't have any problem with warranty work on my cars, because it didn't need any work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back