lost wheel lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an aftermarket wheel, that having a wheel lock, its been 7 year, today I try change out with different wheel, I couldnt find the key for the lug nut, any idea ?

Most shops and tire places tend to have a collection of lug keys. Check around. I'm sure somebody local will be able to help you.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Most shops and tire places tend to have a collection of lug keys. Check around. I'm sure somebody local will be able to help you.

I just call and they want $25 a wheel -_-

Call more places, or go online and find the one you need. Shouldn't be rocket science.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I bought an aftermarket wheel, that having a wheel lock, its been 7 year, today I try change out with different wheel, I couldnt find the key for the lug nut, any idea ?

Yikes, that's a tough sentence to read. You can get a cheap socket that barely doesn't fit, hammer it on and try remove. You'll likely ruin the socket though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A

12 point deep socket that is just too tight, hammer it on and use breaker bar. We did this at the tire shop I worked at.

$25 fee doesn't seem out of line if you manage to lose the key to your wheel locks. I am shocked it is so cheap actually.

If it is a good heat treated locking lug nut, nothing will bite into it, even the reverse twisted socket. If they haven't been off in 7 years there will be little chance they will turn easy. Use of a MIG welder is about the only thing that can help. So, $25 a wheel is probably not out of line. I NEVER use locking lug nuts anymore.

Who made the lugnut? If the unit was registered a new key can be obtained from the lock naker. Mag Guard is one such maker. I learned off the record the local Toyota dealer had a cardboard box full of wheel keys, the Mensa set trying to beat the rate book would pull a wheel and lose the key, then stick any nut which was handy on the car and hope the owner didn't notice. All those "lost" keys ended up in a box.

Last edited:
when i had the face of a lock lug nut break off due to overlong studs, mcgard had me send a picture and they sent a modified [tapered] socket to hammer on to what's left. removed it easily. hth.

You're not likely to be able to do anything without damaging it, which I'm guessing isn't a concern as long as you can get it off. You'd probably need the code to get a replacement from the manufacturer.

When I bought my car I got wheel locks at the dealer and installed them myself. One of them wasn't on tight enough and fell off. They were 5-bolt so the whole wheel wasn't really affected and I just slipped a nut on that wheel until the new lock arrived. I had the ID card that came with the wheel lock key and I ordered a new wheel lock for $10. I think a new key would have been $25.

This is the lug nut lock, by look at it, the Gator Grips Universal Socket might work http://www.amazon.com/Gator-Grip-ETC-200MO-Universal-Socket/dp/B000065CJ8
dqnh40.jpg

You should try hard to get a replacement key since I think you have 3 other wheels with same lock nut to eventually deal with. I think use of these types of lock nuts are fading from popular use. The key has to be in the car so wheel thieves break in and usually find it easy in the usual hidey hole spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back