How do you handle snowdrifts twice the height?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 28"/9HP Craftsman (MTD) snow-blower is getting buried when I try to shovel big drifts. This results in either intake or exhaust clogging and the engine quitting on me. I thanked my lucky stars that it restarted immediately. The snow is way over the height of the bucket so when it cuts the path, rest of the snow falls all over the machine.

There must be something not right because I see my neighbors who have smaller machines being able to handle this in one pass where I need to take out the machine three times before I can finish my driveway.

Check the tension of your belt, make sure that's not slipping. Is your friction disc getting wet?

Last edited:
Check the belt as redhat said, and adjust the carb if needed. I do mine when the engine is warmed up, and under a heavy load.

Could be your technique too. Try just biting off a small portion of the drift, not a huge auger full.

On huge drifts, the first bite should be the messiest, then you take small bites, sort of shaving snow from the edge, letting the height fall in front of the machine.

Even as unbelievably far as my new Ariens Sno-Tek will throw snow (compared to an MTD or Sears machine) the 12" impeller is limited on how much you can pack into it. Small bites is key.

Taking small bites is the key.

Suggest going across the drift width wise, and only scooping out 12" at a time.

I installed drift cutters on my snow thrower.
They work OK.

In November we had 4-5 feet of snow.
In a case like that, it's a 2 man job.
The trick is to get one pass to the end of driveway.

Then, take a shovel and knock the 'high' drift into the pass you just cleared.
This is where the 2nd person can save you some time.
Keep chipping away at it.
May take 2-3 times longer, but it's doable.

Fortunately no problem here ,i have a 1979 5/24 Toro with the drum auger , no newer machine can outdo these , steel ( not plastic ) gears for the auger gearbox and same goes for the rest of the machine ,,,I even pull down tons of snow with a roof rake and with the ol Toro I go straight into the mountain of snow and blow it all away from around the house,,most of the time always twice the height of the auger drum ,,Just like a old car ,,they don't make them like they used to

I think it is due for the belt change. The machine is almost 8 years old. I have adjusted the augur cable as tight as I can get. The friction disc controls the drive wheels, right?

Having another person to help to knock off the drifts makes sense. My neighbor had his kid helping him and that is how he managed.

I looked up the "drift cutters", good idea but I store the snow thrower in very tight place in the garage corner next to a new car, it is going to be tough to keep them installed all the time.

Our town set the record for the state of MA! 35.8" as of 6:00 clock news and it is still coming down. This is what I was battling.

ozRgaZb.jpg

and this

toqmTHV.jpg

Originally Posted By: JTK
That's spring break for me.

That guy on ABC News, lol, cracked me up.

Usually drift cutters are just a 2 bolt affair. You could use a nylock on one and keep it just a little loose, then use a wingnut on the other so the cutter can pivot out of the way on the nylocked one.

Just a thought...

Vikas, honestly? I would have gone out and cleared everything off somewhere after 12" had fallen but before 24" had fallen. In other words, I would not let it get to 3 feet and then try to clear that all at once.

But, that's not always possible.

Like others said, I would nip at the sides ... make it top heavy then topple the snow bank/drift over and then throw it. Careful where you put the snow ... always avoid having to throw it twice. It's MUCH heavier the 2nd time as the blowing process compacts the snow to triple or quadruple it's beginning density/weight.

It was cold going last night. But it made the snow fluffy and VERY easy to shovel and throw. Wind was a bother ... but as you become more experienced, you learn to work WITH the wind and not try to fight it.

I likely had a lot more area than you to cover (5 city driveways and connecting sidewalks) but the snow we got (6" of powder) was kind of a joke compared to the warnings they were blaring at us for the entire previous day. I have yet to really challenge my Ariens Deluxe 28. 4 years old and I am not yet to the 25 hour mark.

Nice neighborhood. I would have gone with an Ariens Hydro-Pro 36.
wink.gif

Usually I do every 6 inches as I have heck of time with this snow thrower but this storm came in the midnight and literally went from 6 to 20 within couple of hours. It was coming at such a great rate that it was impossible to clean at that time.

New OEM belts and impeller mod materials is on the order. I am hoping once that is done, this snow-thrower would be a beast.

What size motor does your MTD have? The 250cc Briggs? That's what mine has. Not sure I'd call it a beast. I just got a NGK V-Power plug for it BKR5E - Stock #7938. Starts easier, can't be sure of much else.

Dad's Arien's 28" is older and has the Tecumseh L-Head ... 354cc, I believe. Despite the obsolescent design, the extra CCs really make a difference. Has another 15-20% oomph.

Post pics of your impeller once you're done modding it.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back