is maxlife ATF really THAT good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are hearing all the time that this is "one fits all" and exceeds anything else (that is OEM).

i'm open minded, but would like to see some proof other than it "feels" good. I googled for UOA and found exactly zero. [censored], my googling skills can't be that bad?

Transmissions can be very ATF specific. And, mixing them can cause problems also.

Why don't you want to go with mfg recommended ATF.

It's good had a small leak on a chevy 4.8 transmission put in a couple of quarts of maxlife atf the leak is gone

Doesn't work for most of my applications which are Dodge, Chrysler & Jeep needed ATF+4

Last edited:
No one ever said it's the best ATF for all applications, but any older vehicles that use DEX it's GREAT stuff. Might be hard to find anything better.

As far as other vehicles, it seems to be application specific. There are plenty of guinea pigs who have run Maxlife in their Fords, Chrysler, Toyota, and Honda vehicles....some report excellent results, other have had to drain right away because of altered shifting characteristics.

If you have a specific vehicle you are curious about using Maxlife in, just search and see what others have found.

I've used it for a long time in many different vehicles.

GM, Ford, Nissan, Hyundai, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, etc... and always worked well.

I don't like it in my Honda transmissions and I don't use it. For them, and for aftermarket fluid, Castrol Transmax IMV worked better. If I had a vehicle that took Dexron, I might try MaxLife ATF again.

I have nothing against Valvoline at all (I have some NextGen in our Acura right now), but their ATF just didn't work that great in our cars (wonky shift feel, etc).

I can't speak for anything other than my experience with Maxlife ATF.

1990 F150 E4OD:

Prior to Maxlife - Tried two different brands of cheap ATFs (Supertech D/M and Accel D/M) and had erratic shifts.

Maxlife - Tried this as a last ditch effort and it shifted so smooth that I thought it wasn't shifting upon driving it initially.

As far as UOAs and all of that, no help here. Just my experience.

For me, it worked extremely well and for others (as mentioned above) it wasn't the greatest.

Works great in my wife's Corolla that specs Dexron III. No idea if it works better or worse than any other Dexron III product but it was a noticeable improvement so I keep using it.

I was skeptical when I used it in a very very VERY high mileage transmission. But, I used Maxlife and a bottle of Lubegard Red, and it shifts beautifully like new. Just my personal experience with a Late 90's GM vehicle requiring Dex stuff. But I couldn't help you with the UOA, other than its still fresh after 10,000 miles haha.

Last edited:
What I found makes it good is it's wide compatibility and finally that you are getting synth without the synth price. In fact it's one of the cheapest at least in two major auto parts stores in my area @$16 for a gallon.

Originally Posted By: Dexters
Transmissions can be very ATF specific. And, mixing them can cause problems also.

Why don't you want to go with mfg recommended ATF.

I would say something like Amsoil is better than the OEM ATF. I am not saying one size fits all, but one size fits many. I believe if Amsoil specs it for your vehicle, then good to go.

That stuff is world class garbage. This sewer water somehow became a darling of the forum due to the cheap clique crowd promoting that swill. Members of this forum with no experience with this bottled slop parrot a scripted, "This stuff is great!" and people read it and perpetuate the lie. I wouldn't pay a dollar for that puke Ashland tries to pass off as transmission fluid.

Caveat emptor.

Works good in my Chevy's. Even used it in my old Volvo over 600k mileages between the two of them. So yes I would say its good. But I can't say its the best as iv only used a few other brands.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
That stuff is world class garbage. This sewer water somehow became a darling of the forum due to the cheap clique crowd promoting that swill. Members of this forum with no experience with this bottled slop parrot a scripted, "This stuff is great!" and people read it and perpetuate the lie. I wouldn't pay a dollar for that puke Ashland tries to pass off as transmission fluid.

Caveat emptor.

You could say the same thing about Corona Beer.

Yes, but the topic is MaxJunk.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
You could say the same thing about Corona Beer.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I don't like it in my Honda transmissions and I don't use it. For them, and for aftermarket fluid, Castrol Transmax IMV worked better. If I had a vehicle that took Dexron, I might try MaxLife ATF again.

I have nothing against Valvoline at all (I have some NextGen in our Acura right now), but their ATF just didn't work that great in our cars (wonky shift feel, etc).

I'm glad you posted this, because it indicates that not all ATFs work well in all cars. What I've experienced is the exact opposite from you. I ran a fill of Castrol IMV in my Sedona, and I couldn't stand the way the shifts felt; squishy, indirect, etc. Changed it out for Amsoil ATF and the shifting was much improved. I've also used Maxlife in the past and have liked the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back