Can Mobil 1 EP really go 15,000 mi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: doublebase
Personally I think with so many cars have variable valve timing - and the way manufacturers accomplish this - I'd be careful of going 15k between oil changes. Also with the prominence of timing chains (over belts) nowadays, you have to consider the importance of good, clean oil. I have heard of horror stories going wrong with both systems because of lack of oil changes, and not using the right oil, and of course letting it run low. Dirty oil seems to do a number on the screens in some VVT systems and some chains are prone to stretching on the wrong oil.

So oil is important. I do think on some cars going over 10k would be ok, but you must be very diligent in checking the level...and using a high quality product....I think the mobil 1 is high quality. But I personally wouldn't go that far.

M1 doesn't exclude engines with VVT from their 15K warranty with EP oils. Clean engines is a strong point with using M1 oils, so chains and valve guides are better protected when sludge and heavy varnish aren't present. My Fusion has VVT and the cyl head and timing chain are like new clean at 10K OCIs.

You using Mobil 1 EP? I haven't tried it, but I would consider it. And I haven't tried extended drain yet either - although I'm planning on going 8k on TGMO, that I have in it now.

I like Mobil 1, I'd be willing to give the EP a try.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Personally I think with so many cars have variable valve timing - and the way manufacturers accomplish this - I'd be careful of going 15k between oil changes. Also with the prominence of timing chains (over belts) nowadays, you have to consider the importance of good, clean oil. I have heard of horror stories going wrong with both systems because of lack of oil changes, and not using the right oil, and of course letting it run low. Dirty oil seems to do a number on the screens in some VVT systems and some chains are prone to stretching on the wrong oil.

So oil is important. I do think on some cars going over 10k would be ok, but you must be very diligent in checking the level...and using a high quality product....I think the mobil 1 is high quality. But I personally wouldn't go that far.

M1 doesn't exclude engines with VVT from their 15K warranty with EP oils. Clean engines is a strong point with using M1 oils, so chains and valve guides are better protected when sludge and heavy varnish aren't present. My Fusion has VVT and the cyl head and timing chain are like new clean at 10K OCIs.

You using Mobil 1 EP? I haven't tried it, but I would consider it. And I haven't tried extended drain yet either - although I'm planning on going 8k on TGMO, that I have in it now.

I like Mobil 1, I'd be willing to give the EP a try.

No. I use 0-20AFE.

Keep in mind you cylinder bores wear horrendously bad with a bad/cold opening thermostat.

I've seen a graph in a automotive school training book that goes up in a pretty steep curve showing the wear increase in bore wear. The cylinder bores are distorted when not totally expanded with a thermostat that allows the bores fully warm up.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Folks, the Mike7139 is playing all of you. Go back and read all his comments. He's saying everything he can to make his supposed 5 year OCI sound even worse than it already is.

Next he's going to claim he has 200K on his original air filter - and he drives on nothing but dirt roads - and he's never checked it - and he doesn't even know where it's located - but his car still runs great. And oh, he still has the original tires and has never once checked the air pressures but it corners like a Porsche.

He's goofing you guys.

Scott

I actually changed the air filter back in 2007. I don't drive on dirt roads. I just drive on the normal paved roads that are managed by the city. I did also check the air in my tires today and they were quite low. I had low 20's in the front and the one back tire had 12 psi and the other tire didn't even register on the tire gauge which my gauge starts at 10 psi.

I think as time goes on manufacturers will raise the maximum time for an oil change from every 1 year to 2 years or maybe even 3.

If my car can do it im sure many others could too, although maybe V6 engines are alot easier on oil as compared to 4 cylinder engines?

It takes about 5 - 10 minutes altogether to change the oil and top off all the other fluids on Grand Am ... and maybe less than $20 if you buy the oil and filter at Wallyworld ... Not really any excuses to not change your oil. This is why buying used cars scares me lol.

Originally Posted By: mike7139
Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Folks, the Mike7139 is playing all of you. Go back and read all his comments. He's saying everything he can to make his supposed 5 year OCI sound even worse than it already is.

Next he's going to claim he has 200K on his original air filter - and he drives on nothing but dirt roads - and he's never checked it - and he doesn't even know where it's located - but his car still runs great. And oh, he still has the original tires and has never once checked the air pressures but it corners like a Porsche.

He's goofing you guys.

Scott

I actually changed the air filter back in 2007. I don't drive on dirt roads. I just drive on the normal paved roads that are managed by the city. I did also check the air in my tires today and they were quite low. I had low 20's in the front and the one back tire had 12 psi and the other tire didn't even register on the tire gauge which my gauge starts at 10 psi.

I think as time goes on manufacturers will raise the maximum time for an oil change from every 1 year to 2 years or maybe even 3.

If my car can do it im sure many others could too, although maybe V6 engines are alot easier on oil as compared to 4 cylinder engines?

I never change my oil. I use Amsoil and removed the thermostat from the car.
grin.gif

Trolling.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back