Get latest Flash for Firefox in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
I wouldn't post it otherwise.

Sorry, I had no intention of offending you. I was just pointing out that random PPAs aren't always safe to use.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I scanned the systems after i ran this and had no issues.

In my opinion rootkit scanners on Linux are next to worthless. I prefer to use the official repositories to prevent malware from installing on my system. Seems like a lot of work to port Flash 16 to Linux for free and then not offer the fruits of your labor to the various Linux repositories. Just my two cents.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Chromium does NOT have Flash baked in. Chromium is without non-free software entirely.

My bad. The only time I've used Chromium was the SRW-Iron version on Windows about two years ago for a few weeks. I guess I didn't realize it was all free software.

I agree official repositories are the "safe way" to go but if i didn't use some unofficial ones a lot of what i have working now would still be broken.
There is still no official panoramio photo fix for Google earth 64 bit although its a very simple fix.

The danger of using a PPA in an Ubuntu/ Mint install is more about the packages in the PPA being either bleeding-edge (ie. "testing" quality) or poorly coded. In order for someone to get a PPA they have to go through at least some (very) minimal vetting with Canonical which would dissuade most malicious parties. Any malware present on a PPA would get reported and removed in a hurry. Any software from a PPA that you've heard about through a reasonably popular web site has probably been used by enough folks; and the code gone over by enough pairs of eyes to satisfy one's concerns about the "safety" of the packages.

Having said that, many folks who have PPA's use them for working on their software, meaning that the packages may well be in development (read: unstable!) Some will have multiple PPA's for stable and testing versions of their packages. Using a PPA for something like an up-do-date build of LibreOffice or VLC or an NVIDIA driver is a safe bet. These packages will not have had Ubuntu or Mint's source code modifications made as they'd be coming directly from the (for example) LibreOffice or VLC or NVIDIA developers; but safety and stability are largely non-issues.

The official repositories, though, are the ones that are supported officially. Stick with those unless and until you have a pressing reason not to!

Video plays fine for me, but I always get a message that flashplayer is outdated and dangerous. I have to click allow or some such nonsense.

I am running Mint 17 Xfce or lxde, not sure which anymore.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Video plays fine for me, but I always get a message that flashplayer is outdated and dangerous. I have to click allow or some such nonsense.

I am running Mint 17 Xfce or lxde, not sure which anymore.

There are a couple different adobe flash repositories in synaptic. Look at the revision. Uninstall the one you got and install the one with the latest revision number. I had the same problem as you for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.