2015 VW GTI OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies, this is in the wrong section...but I do own a diesel...

VW recommend a 10,000 mile OCI and use Castrol Professional. I've never performed a UOA for this oil. My daily commute is 7 miles one way...I drive very carefully keeping rpms no higher than 2,000 until the engine warms up; the digital oil temp gauge read out begins only at 122 deg F. and hovers around 205 deg F. when fully warm. This read out typically reaches 130-150 deg F during my winter commute.

From what I've read here, I'm a little uncomfortable with the recommended OCI for this oil. The car has 5,300 miles on it now. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have a tdi and am about to have it changed. Just hit 9k but my commute is 36 miles one way. How often does your GTI fully warm up a week?

If you are uncomfortable, then just change it.

Oil is cheap, but engines are not. I'd also change it every 5000 miles.

IIRC, VW/VAG guys usually use Motul and they love bashing Castrol in Europe.

I make sure that I take it for a long-ish ride once a week. I've had incredible luck with Mobil 1 synthetic products with other daily commuters and track cars.

As an aside, my wife's 2015 TDi is driven 2 miles one way to work...this car never warms up!

Originally Posted By: dothedrew1202
I have a tdi and am about to have it changed. Just hit 9k but my commute is 36 miles one way. How often does your GTI fully warm up a week?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Michael58
As an aside, my wife's 2015 TDi is driven 2 miles one way to work...this car never warms up!

This is why we didn't get a TDI for the wife as her commute is almost as short. Not good for DPF.

Argh! And I pushed my wife to buy a diesel...because I just traded in a 2013 TDi 6 speed Jetta that routinely broke 60 mpg on a particular long trip each week.

Well, I'll change the oil very frequently and take it for a nice ripping ride every Saturday and Sunday.

My wife drove her 2008 2.0 Passat the same two miles a day. I changed the oil once every 1,500 miles, the oil and filter every 3,000 miles based upon UOAs...and drove the car every Saturday and Sunday morning for good bit...

Is the Penriteoil additive discussed in the link a good maintenance product for this 2014 TDi?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dgunay

I'd say 7k. Make sure the oil is approved by VW. The oils they spec are superior in keeping carbon deposits low.

10k (miles) interval for petrol is very easy. In Europe VW has 30k(km) interval for oil change. If you use good oil go for 10k. (except for driving mainly short trips)
Edit.. So you drive only 7 miles to work... maybe 10k interval is bit too long..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: dgunay

I'd say 7k. Make sure the oil is approved by VW. The oils they spec are superior in keeping carbon deposits low.

I'd say at least 7k if it's a regular Golf, but it's not. I wouldn't use that much. It's a DI turbo engine, sporty hot-hatch and he drives only 7miles one way.

Changed my route today...found a Starbucks 7 miles away...the trip is now 14 miles and with the addition of a few sips while driving. Much better all around!

...do we still like the 0W40 M1? It did shear a little in UOAs...I have not sent oil out to be tested for nearly 10 years.

Changed my route today...found a Starbucks 7 miles away...the trip is now 14 miles and with the addition of a few sips while driving. Much better all around!

To me, this sounds like it'll be a lot more expensive in the long run vs. just cutting your OCI a bit short.

You're spending more on fuel. You are devaluing your car by piling on twice the miles. Not to mention the expensive coffee.
smile.gif

...coffee can skew one's thinking...but great points!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

To me, this sounds like it'll be a lot more expensive in the long run vs. just cutting your OCI a bit short.

You're spending more on fuel. You are devaluing your car by piling on twice the miles. Not to mention the expensive coffee.
smile.gif

Whilst your water temperature might get up, I bet your oil temperature does not. I have the VAG 2.0 CR TDi (140 bhp version) in my Skoda - in the recent weather we have had (around 25-30°F overnight) the oil temperature has barely reached 180°F after 30 minutes of driving (about 13 miles). It will normally sit around 200°F when properly warm. It only reached the 180 mark just as the journey was over - for most of the journey is was still warming up. This was all with the dashboard temperature gauge (water) showing 'normal' after just a few miles.

Not heating the oil up is the worst thing you can do - it never gets the chance to boil off fuel dilution or condensation and the ZDDP never really wakes up fully. Luckily my car gets some long runs too, but if I had a shorter journey I would get a gasoline (in fact I do - the Audi TFSi).

A heavier engine, more thermodynamically efficient cycle and high air-flow make diesels slower to warm up than gasolines.

Right! Adding another 7 miles (14 miles total)to my commute brought the oil temp up to just above 200 about a mile before my destination - 2015 2.0 GTI

Last edited:
Using the lowest blower speed on the heater to maintain comfort lets the water get hotter faster. This will heat the oil faster.

Rod

Typically the blower isn't turned on until the engine warms up...the heater knob turned to full cold. I decided to take her car on a 25 mile highway loop every Sunday. This should help.

Apologies, this is in the wrong section...but I do own a diesel...

VW recommend a 10,000 mile OCI and use Castrol Professional. I've never performed a UOA for this oil. My daily commute is 7 miles one way...I drive very carefully keeping rpms no higher than 2,000 until the engine warms up; the digital oil temp gauge read out begins only at 122 deg F. and hovers around 205 deg F. when fully warm. This read out typically reaches 130-150 deg F during my winter commute.

From what I've read here, I'm a little uncomfortable with the recommended OCI for this oil. The car has 5,300 miles on it now. Thoughts?

change the oil and do a UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back