How important is DRY air? How to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a guy with a small garage compressor used mostly for TIRE (with TPMS if that matters) top offs and perhaps an angle grinder to de burr..... How dry of air do I need and what would be a simple system to achieve that for my 90psi, and much lower, uses? Any simple"click in" solutions?

They sell desiccant dryers that would be a good start. Key to them really drying is lower velocity so there is more contact time. That should be good for tires, I agree that excess moisture isn't good. For a grinder, I supect that as long as it's oiled, it just wants flow...

Unless you're using a paint sprayer, you shouldn't have to worry about moisture in the air. When you're done using an air tool like your grinder, put a couple drops of air tool oil (or a shot of WD-40 in a pinch) to keep it working well. When the compressor pump compresses the air it gets hot. On a humid day, the moist air cools as it travels through the hose and will precipitate out so you get a little bit of water hitting the tool, but it's nothing to worry about.

if its below 32f there is not much moisture in the air.

IF you want to be ocd, turn on the compressor when its about 20F out and the air will be nearly dry (for automotive use not painting)

Just buy an inline dryer filter
Compressor zz filter zz hose
Mine leaks a little, need to use Teflon tape and reattach it

First things first. Are you draining the tank every week or so? Does the compressor input to the tank have a drip leg to catch condensation, with a drain valve at the bottom?

Originally Posted By: HangFire
First things first. Are you draining the tank every week or so? Does the compressor input to the tank have a drip leg to catch condensation, with a drain valve at the bottom?

Compressor is drained and empty after each use. It is a solid oiless unit that can be carried a 3 gal I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back