Amount of ATF that drips from bad drain gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to always change the drain plug gasket after an ATF drain-and-fill, but the past 3 or 4 years I kept re-using the same metal drain plug gasket, and that was a mistake. After I did the ATF drain-n-fill in late August this year (maybe August 28th), I noticed the ATF was dripping out slowly: maybe a couple drops an hour?

So I placed a long and wide but very short drain collecting pan under the Camry when parked in the garage to see how much would drip out over time, so I'd know how much new ATF I'd have to add over time. The Camry's ATF dip stick is really hard to read accurately (it's hard to tell how high up or low the oil reaches on that poorly designed dip stick).

Today I poured the ATF that dripped onto the garage's long, wide drain pan into a measuring cup and saw about 4.5 ounces of oil in the cup. I estimate another 1 or 1.5 ounces was still left on the long pan, so I guess roughly 6 ounces dripped out in the 3 months and 1 week since August 28, when I did the ATF dnf.

So I added into the refill hole about 6 ounces of ATF Type T-IV. Wish I had used a new drain plug gasket in August when I did the dnf.

Last edited:
I guess it doesn't take much of a loss of ATF dripping out to experience minor problems. I think only about one month after the August 28 dnf, I heard the transmission do its first slip or whatever it's called--kinda sounds like a rev. In the 3 months since the dnf, I guess I heard several slips every once in a while--maybe 5 total slips I heard in 3 monhts. But if I was losing an average of 2 ounces of ATF per month, and my first slip happened after one month--wow, only a 2-ounce loss makes a difference.

Well, a guy could use the same collection pan while using some dexterity (a finger to limit loss) and pull the plug/change the gasket and add back that loss. I've liked the alluminum gaskets less than copper and have sometimes changed to those-don't know if that applies for you. Strange, as I think about it, my old cars don't have these issues!

Clean around the plug and throw some "black death" around it. Black RTV. That will seal it. Then just clean up and get a new gasket next time you drain. I used that stuff on a stripped Honda oil pan plug that wouldn't get over mild finger tight. It worked for 60k miles and was still on when I sold the car.
51MeE6xESHL.jpg

The gasket should be a last-gasp. The plug itself should seal at the threads.

Get yourself a new drain plug as well as the gasket washers. Maybe even a thread reforming tap.

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
I used to always change the drain plug gasket after an ATF drain-and-fill, but the past 3 or 4 years I kept re-using the same metal drain plug gasket, and that was a mistake. After I did the ATF drain-n-fill in late August this year (maybe August 28th), I noticed the ATF was dripping out slowly: maybe a couple drops an hour?

So I placed a long and wide but very short drain collecting pan under the Camry when parked in the garage to see how much would drip out over time, so I'd know how much new ATF I'd have to add over time. The Camry's ATF dip stick is really hard to read accurately (it's hard to tell how high up or low the oil reaches on that poorly designed dip stick).

Today I poured the ATF that dripped onto the garage's long, wide drain pan into a measuring cup and saw about 4.5 ounces of oil in the cup. I estimate another 1 or 1.5 ounces was still left on the long pan, so I guess roughly 6 ounces dripped out in the 3 months and 1 week since August 28, when I did the ATF dnf.

So I added into the refill hole about 6 ounces of ATF Type T-IV. Wish I had used a new drain plug gasket in August when I did the dnf.

I don't get it...Buy a new gasket, pull the drain plug, and stick your finger in (wine cork or whatever) Put on the new gasket and stick it back it. No need to over analyse drip measurements and weights or whatever...

You must have a severely damage washer, I've got 2 different vehicles plus a motorcycle, all well over 100,000 miles on all of them and still original drain washers.

The only time ive really had issues with the washers was having the oil changed by lube shops, they change them every change and they are super cheap in design, they can leak brand new.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
18 mm aluminum gasket. Torque to 36 ft. lbs. Leak free every time.

Seems too tight to me for a drainplug.

I prefer plastic or fiber washers. Better yet, why not use a Fumoto valve if you have the clearance? I did use the same aluminum washer on my 89 Accord transmission plug for 20 years. I figured that it never leaked because it was mating against a aluminum housing rather than a steel drain pan. YMMV

On my '10 Vibe (Toyota trans), I reused the original aluminum gasket about seven times. It was stuck on the plug, and never leaked. I finally replaced it with the gasket from an ATP filter kit. That washer was a lot thinner than the original, and dripped the second time I used it.

NAPA has a gasket for my trans that is exactly the same dimensions as the Toyota part. The only difference is that one side is polished and it's about a dollar cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
18 mm aluminum gasket. Torque to 36 ft. lbs. Leak free every time.

Seems too tight to me for a drainplug.
That is the the torque called for in the the Toyota shop manual for my 04 Camry 5 speed Aisin AT. The oil pan drain plug torques to 33 ft.lbs.. Regards

Check the flat mating surface at the drain plug hole and make sure there are no burrs, since a rough surface or burrs can chew up the drain plug gasket.

In the least, you noticed a potential problem and took proactive action.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks MolaKule, RhymingMechanic, Chris, DBmaster, and everyone. Sorry for the late reply; cars aren't my main hobby so I haven't logged in in a couple months.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out when I do another d&f of the ATF this summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HangFire
The gasket should be a last-gasp. The plug itself should seal at the threads.
Get yourself a new drain plug as well as the gasket washers. Maybe even a thread reforming tap.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Next time you pull the plug out put a little teflon tape on the threads.

Its not a tapered thread. The threads were not designed to seal, and tape will not work with a straight thread.

Get a new copper washer and proper size/thread bolt from the hardware store. Pull the plug and thread the bolt in just to stop it from draining. replace the washer on the plug and put the plug back in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back