2015 Dodge Grand Caravan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's extremely good value.

Had I been confronted with that choice when we bought the Camry, we probably would have spent the extra money on the Caravan. Even if you don't have extra passengers to fill it the utility space of a Caravan is pretty incredible.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I almost bought one of those base model Patriots!

The timing belt was a deal breaker.

Which Jeep Patriot engine has a timing belt? The 2.4 is a chain.

We have a couple of base model Caravans in our fleet at work.
I've driven both on trips in excess of a hundred miles each way and they are really nice.
Great space, good ride, good power and decent fuel economy.
Decent handling, quiet operation and good highway tracking.
For 17K, you'd be a fool not to buy one.
There is no better value in the current market.
We had a minivan back when our kids were young and we had a large dog.
It was ideal family transport.
If it were me and my money, I'd jump on a 17K Caravan.
You could use something newer, bigger and safer and there isn't much else out there that would suit your needs.
There's also not much out there at all for only 17K.

Where is this SE being offered for $17k? The lower AVP model lists for a bare minimum of $22,190. I helped someone get what I thought was a really great deal at about $3700 off including a $1250 factory rebate on a an AVP with $500 worth of options, so about $19k before doc fees, tags and tax. There were no rebates on the '14s (at least at the time, a few weeks ago) so it was a no brainer to go for the '15.

$17k for something like that is a great deal. The problem with today's vehicle need is the car seats, they got so big and wide and you pretty much need a big 4 door vehicle to get 2 young children in and out of it while sitting rear facing.

On the plus side, putting big bulky rear facing seats in a big vehicle makes the family trip safer than decades ago. When the kids grow out of all the rear seating limit (usually the height, around 40" max), you can switch back to a smaller vehicle instead.

If you really want the stow and go seats buy the base model with bench seats than go on ebay for a set of stow n go seats will set you back for less than 500$ and it takes around 30 min to swap them out....

Originally Posted By: deanm11
Where is this SE being offered for $17k? The lower AVP model lists for a bare minimum of $22,190. I helped someone get what I thought was a really great deal at about $3700 off including a $1250 factory rebate on a an AVP with $500 worth of options, so about $19k before doc fees, tags and tax. There were no rebates on the '14s (at least at the time, a few weeks ago) so it was a no brainer to go for the '15.

Even with every incentive applied, an SE was never avail for ~$17K.

Even the bottom of the barrel AVP was tough to get for ~$17K. IIRC, you'd need to qualify for first time buyer, lease conquest, etc.. to get it down to $17K.

My 2013 SE was just over $20K.

Well, I decided to test the waters and talk to a few dealers.

They are definitely dealing on these vehicles with the new updated 2016 models approaching. We ultimately decided to keep what we have, because a car payment while raising a child with mom at home and only one income doesn't feel like a good idea for us.

When we bought or house, I was completely confident signing a mortgage for far more than a ~$20,000 minivan. I know it was the right thing to do for my family. Thinking about a car payment had my hands shaking and my stomach in knots.

I think if I'm not feeling good about doing this, then it's not the best thing to do right now. It would push us back considerably on our goal of paying our 30 year mortgage in 15 years. The way I see it, I can stretch myself to buy the most base model vehicle now, or I can comfortably afford something far nicer in the future.

The cars are cramped now, but our son won't be in the carseat and stroller forever, and I think we'll be better off in the long run by sticking with what we have.

I really appreciate all the input, one of the reasons I love this forum.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
My wife and I test drove a 2015 caravan AVP. He was willing to get the paperwork started for $16,300 + TTL. Simple, no nonsense transaction.

That's alot of car for the money.

Holy smokes thats an internet record if i've ever seen one.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: dja4260
My wife and I test drove a 2015 caravan AVP. He was willing to get the paperwork started for $16,300 + TTL. Simple, no nonsense transaction.

That's alot of car for the money.

Holy smokes thats an internet record if i've ever seen one.

It's advertised for that price weekly at few dealers by me.

Dealing with these gigantic car seats these days are a pain. Get the mini van. Take the mortgage out a few more years.

Not everyone can keep up with Dave Ramsey.

Last edited:
sorry I didn't see this sooner to respond..

I don't remember what all the 30th anniversary package included... I know there was a special body color availible (granite Crystal) which we didn't get (got the midnight blue)... Also unique aluminum wheels with painted pockets, heated outside mirrors, Piano Black interior trim, black seats with silver accent stitching, a black headliner, and special badges.

It really is a sharp package I think... Price wise... We got the 30th anniversary SE model w/ DVD player, backup camera, touch screen radio... out the door was less than 25k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back