are small trucks gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I see a bunch on eBay that I could see hitting that price, installed.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
1978-Datsun-610-Baja-pickup-700x467.jpg

Awesome! I learned to drive on my dad's Datsun truck of that era. It wasnt tricked out like that one though. I loved that truck.

My uncle had a snot green Datsun 620 truck. Had a HUGE gas tank in the bed. I don't know the capacity but it was 1/3rd of the bed.

It ran forever.Even lugging all that extra fuel weight. (Knowing my uncle, I'm sure it was in response to one of the gas crises. Limit my gas purchase? I'll just carry 100 gallons all the time!)

We had Mazda B-series and a Courier. They were good little trucks. The 2.0s were slower than Christmas but the lone 2.3 Courier actually accelerated pretty well. Some of that might have been gearing but the 2.3 seemed to work better with a Hitachi carb than with a Motorcraft

I guess I just don't get why every truck needs to be as big as a whale and be able to tow an earth mover...is that really necessary?

2012-mercedes-benz-g-class-two-door-rear-three-quarter.jpg

My idea of a small truck, probably shorter than a Toyota PU.

land_rover_defender_fire_ice_01.jpg

I want SWB 4x4, with a 5spd stick and a 6 cylinder diesel, or an I6 gas motor, crank windows, and that's about it. I'll pick it up in Italy and drive it to South Africa, thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
They're gone in the United States.
They've been gone for a long time.
vw-rabbit-pickup-470-1008.jpg

That will do everything many truck owners will ever need thier fullsize to do.

That won't even do what I needed my first Dakota to do, that is, move myself and friends from apartment to apartment while towing a double axle U-Haul. Try and see what U-Haul will rent you for towing with that. Try moving a King sized bed with that. Or even a Queen. I had to move a Full in my Dakota because the "main mover" showed up in an Isuzu pickup with junk in the back. He couldn't make it work, no how, no way.

So, no, I reject "will ever need". Maybe "most of the time", but that just means single person commuting.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
They're gone in the United States.
They've been gone for a long time.
vw-rabbit-pickup-470-1008.jpg

That will do everything many truck owners will ever need thier fullsize to do.

That won't even do what I needed my first Dakota to do, that is, move myself and friends from apartment to apartment while towing a double axle U-Haul. Try and see what U-Haul will rent you for towing with that. Try moving a King sized bed with that. Or even a Queen. I had to move a Full in my Dakota because the "main mover" showed up in an Isuzu pickup with junk in the back. He couldn't make it work, no how, no way.

So, no, I reject "will ever need". Maybe "most of the time", but that just means single person commuting.

What the [heck] kind of king-size bed was that?

I've moved a queen size matress, box spring, frame, headboard and a dresser with boxes stuffed into every additional space in a Mazda B2200 with a 6 ft bed (same length as the VW Rabbit Pickup/Caddy).

Then again, I also moved a friend's Papasan chair in my Chrysler Convertible because it wouldn't fit in his SUV.

I'm going to have to check the width. I think I could fit a fullsize bed in my Mazda's hatch. A twin certainly fit in the PT Cruiser.

More people up north must actually buy trucks when they intend to use them as trucks. Here, they are passenger cars with big empty boxes on the back. That would be fine except the drivers have selected vehicles that are much bigger than thier driving ability.

Ok I saw a Ranger today I like the look of that was really small. Had the body style of the 09's which IMO looked pretty nice. Was a single cab short bed, I would be interested in these IF Ford figured out a little turbo diesel that could squeak out 40 mpg.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Ok I saw a Ranger today I like the look of that was really small. Had the body style of the 09's which IMO looked pretty nice. Was a single cab short bed, I would be interested in these IF Ford figured out a little turbo diesel that could squeak out 40 mpg.

I've been hoping for something like that for a while. The new Colorado is supposed to get a diesel. I haven't seen the size of them in person but I'd imagine they've grown like the Tacoma did.

Originally Posted By: slowdime

I've been hoping for something like that for a while. The new Colorado is supposed to get a diesel. I haven't seen the size of them in person but I'd imagine they've grown like the Tacoma did.
But the Colorado isn't really a small truck at all. It's pretty big.

Originally Posted By: slowdime

But the Colorado isn't really a small truck at all. It's pretty big.

The first generation Colorado's weren't much bigger than its s10 predecessor.
Compare the size of the Tacoma from 2000 until today and they're nearly a full size truck! I saw a late model Tacoma in traffic behind an older full size ram the other day and they were pretty close.

He was probably talking about the '15 models, which are getting hard to call "small." We had a new crew cab Colorado parked on the end of a row of Silverados and a lot of people mentioned how close they appeared to be in size. On the inside though, the Colorado doesn't feel as big as it looks as far as hip/shoulder/leg room. I haven't driven one around yet though. Some of the big exterior appearance may be the lumpy styling, but looking at some basic dimensions, an extended cab Colorado is a good bit larger than an extended cab S-10...

2015 Colorado extended cab width: 74.2 in.
2002 S-10 extended cab width: 67.9 in.

2015 Colorado extended cab length: 212.7 in.
2002 S-10 extended cab length: 205.3 in.

2015 Colorado extended cab height (2WD, base): 70.5 in.
2002 S-10 extended cab height (2WD, base): 62.7 in.

It has grown by roughly half a foot in every dimension of overall exterior size.

But then you look at interior dimensions...

2015 Colorado front head room: 39.5 in.
2002 S-10 front head room: 39.6 in.

2015 Colorado front hip room: 54.2 in.
2002 S-10 front hip room: 53.6 in.

2015 Colorado front shoulder room: 57.5 in.
2002 S-10 front shoulder room: 56.9 in.

2015 Colorado front leg room: 41.3 in.
2002 S-10 front leg room: 42.7 in.

So, less than an inch gain in hip and shoulder room, the same head room, and loss of almost 1.5" of leg room...in a significantly larger truck than before. I am guessing a lot of this has to do with roof strength and other crash protection. I wish people could just learn to drive so that cars wouldn't be bloating up like this in the name of safety.

Want to be disappointed?

1995 Isuzu Pickup Regular Cab: (the real Isuzu, not the Hombre)

Internal dimensions: front headroom (inches): 38.2
front hip room (inches): 55.5
front leg room (inches): 42.5
front shoulder room (inches): 55.5

Small truck, regular cab.

When I was in Afghanistan about eight years ago my unit had a small diesel Toyota pickup that was rented on the local economy. I'm guessing it was a model that sells in Asia or Europe, because I don't think Toyota sold any diesels here. Anyway, it was a bit underpowered and we had trouble starting it in the winter, but it was a great little truck for hauling small stuff. Why don't they sell something like that in the US? A lot of people would like a small pickup truck that gets 30 MPG.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
When I was in Afghanistan about eight years ago my unit had a small diesel Toyota pickup that was rented on the local economy. I'm guessing it was a model that sells in Asia or Europe, because I don't think Toyota sold any diesels here. Anyway, it was a bit underpowered and we had trouble starting it in the winter, but it was a great little truck for hauling small stuff. Why don't they sell something like that in the US? A lot of people would like a small pickup truck that gets 30 MPG.

It was underpowered and hard problems starting in cold weather. I'll bet it had 3rd world emissions too. And little in way of safety.

No doubt it'd fill a real need here, and would sell if the EPA and NHTSA would look the other way.

This wouldn't be such a big problem if imported pickup trucks weren't taxed 25%. Ford already has a Ranger sized truck in Thailand, and VW has the Amarok.

If those could be shipped to a USA-based factory, and have enough done to them to avoid the 25% tax, then just maybe we would have some trucks that are the size of the Ranger.

Also, what does it take to make some of those vehicles meet California smog and our crash tests? Numerous lightweight diesels have been cancelled for sale in the USA because they couldn't pass California smog, and not be so expensive that they were impractical to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back