Status
Not open for further replies.
281atyv.jpg

Left to right.

1.8 Hyundai.
3.0 Audi
4.0 Jeep
6.2 Ford

I find it funny how big the Audi's filter is along with how it holds as much oil as the 6.2. I guess I would prefer to see this as opposed to a smaller one especially with its huge sump and 10k OCI.

A bit OT, but the Mann filter is apparently idential to the Mo-090.. The M1-204 equivalent is actually spec'd for this same engine, but the Puro, Fram and WIX etc. sizes are not. I have always had the understanding that the bypass on the Mann filters is a bit high compared to everything else so I am not sure how this would be compatible with my Jeep or anything else spec'd for this size.
21.gif

I wonder how much difference there is in the actual filter versus simply the canisters. I seem to recall a comparison once that revealed the media was nearly equivalent between two filters that had disproportionate sized canisters

I just put a 15400-pcx-004 filtech on my new rogue as the Mexican or the Chinese filter were causing BIG problems with excessive engine noise and operation on my OCI #1. The Honda S2000 filter is a nice unit and works well. I wish the OEM would not compromise on service parts!

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I wonder how much difference there is in the actual filter versus simply the canisters. I seem to recall a comparison once that revealed the media was nearly equivalent between two filters that had disproportionate sized canisters

This is a good point.

I should have a used Mann filter dissected in a few weeks so we shall see. I have a cut open virgin XG16 that I can compare it to.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I just put a 15400-pcx-004 filtech on my new rogue as the Mexican or the Chinese filter were causing BIG problems with excessive engine noise and operation on my OCI #1. The Honda S2000 filter is a nice unit and works well. I wish the OEM would not compromise on service parts!

Just know the Honda filter flows better because it doesn't filter to well. It's made more for flow than good filtering for those high revving engines. Also, the S2000 filter has a very high bypass pressure setting as it opens at a pressure of more than 20 psid.
If you have the room, take a look at the Baldwin B202 oil filter. That is what I run on my '06 S2000 and have ran the B7042 and B202 for over 90k miles now on my S. Those filters are a little over twice as large as the 15400-pcx-004 filter and filter better than the Honda filter and still gives my engine all the oil it needs.

As for the filter comparison, back about 20 years ago I saw 8 or 9 filters all for a S/B Chevy and most of the cans were the same height. But the filter media in those cans were all over the place. Some of the filter media were twice as tall as others all in the same size can, some had as little as 25 pleats some had over 40. That is why I cut open the filter if I can't find the sq. in. of filter media of that filter online.

The one that stood out was a STP filter, it had very little media inside of the can and looked very bad. How are STP's today, I don't know I just don't use them. It's funny but something I saw 20 or so years ago still sticks with me even though the filter might be a very good one today. I guess I'll never know because I'll never buy one(well till I see what's inside of one).

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back