DIY and your vehicle warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you prove that you changed your oil, plugs, and general maintenance things while under warranty? Ive always wondered if they can deny a claim based on the fact that you did everything yourself.

You may laugh but i video each oil change, including the oil, the filter and the odometer reading. If i had a claim, i have a video of each change and what i used at given mileage.

I had thought about using a video or taking pics but I was thinking that might be a lil crazy. Maybe im not crazy lol.

Keep a log with the date, miles, and products you used. Keep the invoices for the items you bought to do the work. If you want to go over the deep end take pictures, with date, time stamps, etc. of the work you did and the products used.

Invoices, the mfg recommended products and a good log is all you'll need.

I keep a log book of all maintenance / fuel fill ups.

Not receipts. I'm organizationally deficient and lack the ability to organize so ... receipts just can't happen.

But my oil changes, or if I had not done oil changes, would not have caused my motor mount to fail. Using Autolite platinum plugs did not cause my clutch return spring to snap.

Toyota has an "Owner's" website where you register your car (with VIN) and you can track and record all the maintenance on your car. If you go to the dealer for a oil change, it shows up on website. If I change my own oil or perform some other DIY (transmission fluid change or spark plug change), I record it on the web site. So I avoid annoying upsales when I go to the dealer, plus they can see I keep up to date on my maintenance.

I just use a spreadsheet. I can't imagine what good receipts for a jug of oil at Walmart are as far as "prooving" something. I always figured the chance of something related to oil failing under warranty was VERY small. Plus, they have to proove that there is an oil issue. It just doesn't seem like something worth worrying about to me.

I actually fill out a generic "work invoice" commonly available from places like Staples, Office Depot, etc. Not necessarily this exact one, but something similar. It allows me to document parts used (with part number) and also work done that may not necessarily be a parts replacement (like a tire rotation). Although my vehicles are generally out of warranty now, it's still a habit I find beneficial for my own records.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
I just use a spreadsheet. I can't imagine what good receipts for a jug of oil at Walmart are as far as "prooving" something. I always figured the chance of something related to oil failing under warranty was VERY small. Plus, they have to proove that there is an oil issue. It just doesn't seem like something worth worrying about to me.

+1 on using a spreadsheet. I enter what I do and what I have others do. Even if it might not be actual proof something was done, I can see when to perform maint, or how long my tires lasted, etc.

I use Acura's owners website.
They have a page where I can document service. I do this with extensive detail.
Date
Mileage
Service: oil change, transmission fluid change, etc
Materials used and amounts.
Service reminder details
miscellaneous information: crush washers used, torque values for bolts, etc

I recently had the car in for an oil consumption test. At first the service manager started to give me grief about not having the oil changes done at the dealership. I handed him the print out of the service records I had recorded. Upon looking it over, he stated he had never seen an owner with as much intricate detail. No further problems.

I use a steno spiral notebook where I record date/ mileage/ service performed/ and staple receipts and proof of purchase off the oil filter box.

I have been asked to show this twice at Toyota/Lexus dealers and after doing so was told "Wow, I wish all of our customers paid that much attention to their cars"

I also take this notebook with me at trade in time. By then it is 3 inches thick.

All I know is that when buying a used car..I would always prefer to purchase from anal retentive guy with a notebook full of receipts who pays attention to his cars.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
I use Acura's owners website.
They have a page where I can document service. I do this with extensive detail.
Date
Mileage
Service: oil change, transmission fluid change, etc
Materials used and amounts.
Service reminder details
miscellaneous information: crush washers used, torque values for bolts, etc

I recently had the car in for an oil consumption test. At first the service manager started to give me grief about not having the oil changes done at the dealership. I handed him the print out of the service records I had recorded. Upon looking it over, he stated he had never seen an owner with as much intricate detail. No further problems.

I'm with you! I've been using a detailed spreadsheet going back to 1984. It includes everything I've ever done, the cost, who did the work if I didn't, the part numbers, date, etc. I doubt any dealership could dispute it.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I use a steno spiral notebook where I record date/ mileage/ service performed/ and staple receipts and proof of purchase off the oil filter box.

I have been asked to show this twice at Toyota/Lexus dealers and after doing so was told "Wow, I wish all of our customers paid that much attention to their cars"

I also take this notebook with me at trade in time. By then it is 3 inches thick.

All I know is that when buying a used car..I would always prefer to purchase from anal retentive guy with a notebook full of receipts who pays attention to his cars.

All of the cars I have owned came with a manual and they all had a log area in the back for maintenance.

I thought that is where you are supposed to write your maintenance.

Originally Posted By: datech
Originally Posted By: Doog

All of the cars I have owned came with a manual and they all had a log area in the back for maintenance.

I thought that is where you are supposed to write your maintenance.

+1
I log both in the manual and online.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor

I have a maintenance spreadsheet which I've been keeping for 11 years now.

I look at it/use it on a weekly basis.

I also have made it a habit to stash all receipts in a folder... from oil to batteries to brake pads.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Legally they can't.
But they will do everything in their power to blame you if you're missing one receipt.

Can you provide an example of that?

While admittedly it was quite some time ago, I can think of one case of us asking for any sort of records when I worked in dealerships. The car had over 20,000 miles on it, the oil ran out like tar and it had the factory installed filter on it. Incidentally the owner provided a notebook of "records" that was nice and new, had no greasy fingerprints and was written in the same pen... the factory rep said "nope, sorry".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back