Dorco enters the DE market

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to mention this on the Rapira thread, but didn't want to infringe on that topic any more than I already had.

Our friends at Dorco have entered the double-edge razor market. They sell refills on their original site, but they have come out with a razor and different DE blades that they're marketing separately at http://www.dorcoprime.com/

From what I've read, the consensus seems to be that this is a Weishi razor, packaged into a kit. Weishi supposedly makes the MicroTouch One razor as well. The Dorco kit comes with 30 blades, and if you add additional blades to pad the order to $25, free shipping. Supposedly the blades offered here (ST301) are better quality than the ST300 packs that they sell on the site that sells cartridge and disposable razors. I have no personal experience with the razor, yet, as my package hasn't arrived.
grin2.gif

If their DE blades are anything like their cart blades, I would stay clear of them...they suck...

I switched to Dorco cartridges about a year ago and I've been very happy with them.

I thought Dorco already made DE blades? I thought I remembered seeing them a while ago.

EDIT - Badger and Blade has threads going back quite a few years talking about Dorco DE blades. Maybe they just released a new series of DE blades or something.

I think the "new" part is the razor itself. The DE blades have been around for a while, both number series, and I think they're also the supplier for Dollar General and Family Dollar DE blades.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I switched to Dorco cartridges about a year ago and I've been very happy with them.

I thought Dorco already made DE blades? I thought I remembered seeing them a while ago.

EDIT - Badger and Blade has threads going back quite a few years talking about Dorco DE blades. Maybe they just released a new series of DE blades or something.

You need to try a good cart, then you'll see how bad the Dorcos are...the Personna carts are infinitely better than the Dorcos...

I haven't used Personna, but I've used other brands and I'm happy with Dorco and their price.

If you don't like them, that's fine. I do like them.

I just bought a second bulk box of 100 Astras to stock up.

This DE thing is coming back in style, I don't want to pay Feather prices for junk if it catches on again and prices rise due to popularity...

Astras at under 15$ a 100 box to me is unbelievable value.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I just bought a second bulk box of 100 Astras to stock up.

This DE thing is coming back in style, I don't want to pay Feather prices for junk if it catches on again and prices rise due to popularity...

Astras at under 15$ a 100 box to me is unbelievable value.

Astras are my favorite DE blade...I know many people like the Feathers, but they're just too sharp for me...my face always looks like hamburger when I use them...

How can one possibly get a good save with one edge at a time? You need a minimum of 4 edges at a time if you're ever going to have a chance at getting a close shave. I know because I've seen the ads on TV and if it's on TV it's the real deal just like the Internet. More is always better. In fact, I'd hold out for 5, 6 or 7 edges. Then you'd be sure of getting a close shave before you even lathered up.

Why would you ever go back to a double edge just because it works? Everyone knows that oil style stuff doesn't work anymore now that new stuff is available, just like with people.

I gave all my Dorco blades away. My fav's are any of the Russian, Super Max, or Israeli blades. All are available on E-Bay for $5.00 to $15.00 a hundred.

Yup! That's a Weishi razor, I have 4 0r 5 of them, 2 are all plastic and now my every day razor. Very light and aggressive, but you get a fantastic shave once you learn the angle and how to handle it. Shaves better than any of my Gillette slims or fat boys.

Dorco's been selling DE blades for years, nothing new about that. They sell 2 main DE blades the 300 & the 301. In spite of what you may read in a few places, they are *NOT* the same. The 301's were the 1st blades I bought online ~10 yrs ago, after learning that DE blades had almost disappeared from local brick & mortar stores( & before I discovered the advice on the shaving forums!). The 301's are better blades than the 300's.

If anything they tend to be a little on the too-mild side. They are a decent choice for a newbie's first DE blades, & should be excellent for a barber giving razor trims around the ears, neck etc where you change blades for every new customer, & you don't want something so sneaky-sharp(like, say, Feathers) leaving weepers from slicing the tops off little imperfections in the skin- either in the barber chair or on the new DE shaver's face.

I still say the 301 is a good blade to begin with- maybe a smidgen draggy, but forgiving enough to keep you from shredding your face while learning. A couple of 10-packs will probably be enough though- I don't recommend getting 100 of 'em unless you're a barber. I still have about 90 of my original 100 left!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
How can one possibly get a good save with one edge at a time? You need a minimum of 4 edges at a time if you're ever going to have a chance at getting a close shave. I know because I've seen the ads on TV and if it's on TV it's the real deal just like the Internet. More is always better. In fact, I'd hold out for 5, 6 or 7 edges. Then you'd be sure of getting a close shave before you even lathered up.

Why would you ever go back to a double edge just because it works? Everyone knows that oil style stuff doesn't work anymore now that new stuff is available, just like with people.

It's unbelievable how many people buy into these gimmicky multi-blade carts and are willing to pay the outrageous prices for them...and someone will always step in and defend them, but usually that person has never tried using a DE or even a twin blade cart...both can be had very inexpensively, and both shave better than the 3 or more blade carts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back