Stainless brake lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What's the cross section of an "SS" hose look like. The stainless braid does NOT contain the fluid. Some "SS" hoses use a teflon liner , others just a plain rubber liner just like a 'SS' washer hose. What does the braid do... raises the bursting pressure.

You raise a valid point. I had not considered the fact that the SS hose is still a rubber hose (or teflon) at it's core.

After reading the opinions expressed here and other forums, as well as actual product reviews, I've come to the conclusion that, for all intents and purposes, buying some new OEM hoses will suffice for my driving needs.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

Exactly how does a deteriorating flexible brake hose ruin a brake caliper?

The hose loses it's structure over time and doesn't allow the fluid pressure to return as it should, causing the caliper to repeatedly 'stick' until it fails. All but one of my calipers (driver rear) have been replaced due to dragging or sticking at one time or another.

Originally Posted By: CT8
How often do you change your brake fluid?

I haven't changed it since I bought the truck in Sept. 2012.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The MB OEM hoses are, I suspect, of above average quality.
This is an MB brake hose after about 30 years of use.

My 21 years old LS400 brake hoses condition is in much better shape than yours, probably because of climate in So Cal is so mild and little rain yearly so that the hoses under the car didn't suffered.

I plan on getting some here soon. Is a company making custom ones that have the proper ends already on them to connect the Crown Vic brake lines to Corvette calipers up front.

I have the Earl's (Russell) on my car now, and they've been on there for ~12 years now through rain, snow, salt soup, rocks, etc.

NO problems, but if I ever change them, I am going to try the Goodridge, or the top coated (over the stainless braid) Stop Techs.

Make sure you go with the ones with plastic sheathing over the braid when you live in those conditions.
The Stop Tech look good, never tried them. Review them if you go with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back