Hog Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hog rings are used on farm hogs to keep them from digging with their snouts.

Rung_pig_2.JPG

What in the heck does this have to do with, "Science and Technology of Oils and Lubricant Additives?"

You guys really need to read the Forum headings before posting unrelated questions. JMO.

So.......Is there any correlation to why some many young women have rings in their noses? What are people trying to keep them from rooting around in?

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
That would keep me from digging with my snout! (see cruel picture above).

You must be a city boy. How is this cruel? If he doesn't root around, he wont get poked.

Hogs by nature are very hard on stuff. They are notorious for tearing up fences too. Locally, the feral hog population is slowly increasing and folks are encouraged to shoot them simply because they damage property. Down south, hogs in season year round and have no bag limits IIRC.

As far as being cruel, I would rather see a hog outside with a ring in his nose than cooped up in a hog barn not knowing what the light of day is.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
What in the heck does this have to do with, "Science and Technology of Oils and Lubricant Additives?"

You guys really need to read the Forum headings before posting unrelated questions. JMO.

My mistake, just assumed it meant anything. I apologize, and don't get so worked up about it.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

You must be a city boy. How is this cruel? If he doesn't root around, he wont get poked.

Hogs by nature are very hard on stuff. They are notorious for tearing up fences too. Locally, the feral hog population is slowly increasing and folks are encouraged to shoot them simply because they damage property. Down south, hogs in season year round and have no bag limits IIRC.

As far as being cruel, I would rather see a hog outside with a ring in his nose than cooped up in a hog barn not knowing what the light of day is.

I am from the country and I think the photo is cruel. So, that's my stance on it.

Hey 4wheeldog: You said, "Is there any correlation to why some many young women have rings in their noses?".
NEWS FLASH! They're not just for our noses anymore, boy. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hey 4wheeldog: You said, "Is there any correlation to why some many young women have rings in their noses?".
NEWS FLASH! They're not just for our noses anymore, boy. Kira

Ha, you, I like you.

So that's what hog rings actually are. I think there's a thing called a hog ring that's used in upholstery, and sometimes people call those spring hose clamps hog rings.

Now I understand. I had thought the only way to keep a pig from rooting was to shoot it, but that makes sense.

Think that's cruel? Try watching castrating, or doing it.

Originally Posted By: tezzzas

I am from the country and I think the photo is cruel. So, that's my stance on it.

Like I said, Id rather see this than them cooped up in a hog barn their wholes lives.. To each his own I suppose.

Originally Posted By: jcwit

I have had to do both several times. No fun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jcwit

We use hog rings to fix scrotal hernias while castrating feeder pigs. If our supplier has a scrotal hernia that won't sell we take it for dirt cheap, castrate it and then use hog rings to seal the scrotum back up. They live another 4 months and then end up on my plate.

There's nothing cruel about it. Hogs will root under confinement barriers, and a hog in the wild is prey for coyotes. Keeping hogs safe until it's time to market them isn't cruel.

Reading some of these posts and I had to chuckle.
First off, hogs in the wild are called feral hogs and they SHOULD be eaten by coyotes. (Coyotes or wolves are no match for feral hogs, but I digress) Feral hogs have no natural predators and if you've seen the damage that feral hogs do, you know why the land owners hire pilots to fly over with helicopters and a sniper to shoot the pigs. If a human would come across a pack of wild pigs and a sow thought that a piglet would be be in danger, the pack could kill a human in seconds. Second, 99% of all pork sold in the grocery store is pork raised in confinement buildings. The floors are concrete and the walls for these pigs are concrete or pipe. For these pigs, they cannot dig so you would never put a hog ring in the nose of one of these pigs. Hog rings were for pigs that were raised on dirt and stopped them from digging. Very few pigs are raised on dirt and the ones that are are being raised by farmers that have a customer base that wants organic pork or because the pork raised on dirt tastes better.
As a kid, we raised pork (on dirt) and we did use hog rings on a few of the larger sows or boars. Would you put hog rings in your dog or cat's nose? Of course not. It is cruel. It would be like doing surgery on a human with no anesthesia.

Originally Posted By: tezzzas

Good thing you don't know what happens with ears, tails, tusks, and testicles on Hogs.

My neighbors kids used to raise 4H pigs. cute when they were little other wise pigs are gross. When my kids were little they watched the pigs get slaughtered then My wife would fix the ribs and I would tell my kids that was Wilbur. Their reply was Wilbur tastes good!. I like cows better.

My neighbors kids used to raise 4H pigs. Cute when they were little other wise pigs are gross. When my kids were little they watched the pigs get slaughtered then My wife would fix the ribs and I would tell my kids that was Wilbur. Their reply was Wilbur tastes good!. I like cows better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back