MDX: 2004 model headlamps into 2002, TYC brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completed headlight replacement on my wife's MDX this weekend. The original headlamps were hazed to the point that polishing did nothing and she and our daughter complained they couldn't even tell if the lights were on.

I purchased TYC brand assemblies that were for the 2004-2006 MDX models--- same shape housing but the 04-06 used a halogen projector for the low beam. The whole job took 4 hours with 2 trips to autozone and was overall pretty painless.

Sorry no pics...

About 11 fasteners on top of bumper, 5 clips and 4 bolts below, and two screws in the wheelwells (total). 8 10mm bolts (total) held on the lamp assemblies and metal upper bumper skin brace, and it was all on the garage floor.

The newer housings use the same number of bulbs, all same type except for the low beams, which use a H11. The H11 has a slightly different connector that the 9005, but Autozone carries them in blister packs so it was easy to install the proper connector.

Fit and finish for the TYC product was fine. Even included the gasket pressing against the lip of the hood.

The TYC units have a U/D adjustment but not L/R. I don't recall if the 2002 style lamps had L/R or not. No L/R adjustment was needed, however, as the lamp assemblies firmly and pseudo-precisely fit to the structure of the car. The beam pattern is good--- smooth and even foreground with most of the light biased towards the horizon, a single hotspot on the horizon, and a crisp cutoff. There is a slight step visible on the internal shutter but it's not that apparent on the road.

Most of the improvement is likely from just having clear plastic on the front of the assemblies, but the even lighting cast from projectors is a nice touch.

Note: all the H11 bulbs I saw had between 270-320 hours expected lifespan. The 9005's clock in around 1000. I was thrown by this because that is highbeam lifespan territory, but we triple-checked the store computer and that's what it called for... H11. I bought the standard offerings, not the hyper white, blue tint, "better downrange" and all the other versions.

Very pleased, and TYC seems to have done a good job with this product.

Yes, I think the 2004-2006 MDX lamps are pretty good. Ours have a pretty distinct stair-step in the cutoff, which is also apparent when driving. You should also see areas of light above the cut-off, sometimes called "squirrel spotters". This is an intentional area of low intensity light above the horizon to illuminate road signs. Aftermarket housings may not look quite the same as OEM here. This is not my picture below, but one previously posted to MDXers.org:

IMG_0732Small.jpg

Originally Posted By: meep
Note: all the H11 bulbs I saw had between 270-320 hours expected lifespan. The 9005's clock in around 1000. I was thrown by this because that is highbeam lifespan territory, but we triple-checked the store computer and that's what it called for... H11. I bought the standard offerings, not the hyper white, blue tint, "better downrange" and all the other versions.

I suspect your lifespan numbers are reversed. The 65W 9005 (which is usually used in a high beam) is often rated at about 300 hours, give or take. The 55W 9006 (which is usually used in a low beam) is often rated at about 1,000 hours. The 55W H11 is usually rated at about 1,200 hours.

You can use H9 bulbs in your low beams, with a slight tab modification. I have not done this myself; their lifespan is very short (150 hours). I have found that I like the Sylvania Xtravision H11 bulbs. They're high quality, made in Germany in this size, and provide a nice bump in output while maintaining long life.

A body shop put a tyc headlight on my car a few years ago and it was ok, no real complaints about it. The headlight itself looked identical to an oem subaru headlight. The squirrel finders or squirrel spotters mentioned above are much more pronouced with the TYC light versus oem subaru. The projector beam illumination is also a little more sloppy closest to the car with TYC versus oem subaru which is much more clean and consistent, as shown in the second image below. I think an oem subaru headlight assembly is around $300, and TYC is around $100-$150? So I bet the main area that they cut costs on is the projector eye. In hindsight I wish I had taken the second image in a better location without the sidewalk on the side, but it still illustrates my second point.

I did end up replacing the TYC with oem subaru because my OCD couldn't stand to have headlight illumination that wasn't uniform, but I wouldn't hesitate to install TYC in pairs.

*One more difference I forgot to mention, in the first image you'll also notice the hot spots look a little different. The oem subaru appears to have a stronger central hot spot on the wall. Also, I think my passenger side headlight naturally throws light higher and/or farther down the road than the driver side, because the replacement oem subaru headlight still does that even though they appear to be aligned the same against a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back