Radiator hoses... how many years are they safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
people tend to neglect bypass and heater core hoses which are equally as important.

If one of those burst, it will yield the same results as a radiator hose. So don't neglect those!

I say change your hoses every 8-10 years to be safe.

Good point about the bypass and heater hoses. I agree with the 8-10 years. I replaced all the hoses on my Mercury last summer when the car was 10 years old. The old ones LOOKED pretty good, and most likely could have went several more years.

But I drive a lot across the deserts of California and Arizona, and if any hose blows on you it can make life rather uncomfortable to say the least. Contrary to what some people believe, there are long stretches of highway where there is no help and cell phone reception can be very bad if any at all. Talk about cheap insurance.

ok, didn't realiaze the heat generated in towing. Sounds like some significant energy usage. Like my friend that tows says, he gets 11 mpg no matter what.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
ok, didn't realiaze the heat generated in towing. Sounds like some significant energy usage. Like my friend that tows says, he gets 11 mpg no matter what.

No doubt the newer Trucks with EFI are much better, but EGTs still go up quite a bit when pulling a long grade. My trailer is 7500 lbs loaded and I get about 8 to 9 mpg when towing and about 14 to 15 empty. I just have the truck to tow so MPG while towing in not my first concern as long as the truck gets the job done.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have the originals on my 91 BMW, 82 and 81 MB. My other cars are newer so they dont count
smile.gif

Those three cars have original radiators too.

Id drive any cross-country tomorrow.

If you see a leak or a reason for concern, change them. Otherwise?

Ditto for my 140k mile 1995 BMW. A heater hose fitting cracked(slight drip) and the thermostat went south, but that's it for any cooling system issues(or pretty much anything else mechanical, come to think of it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back