Help with synthetic FC-W Marine 10w-30 options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Sorry if this has been done before. I am looking for a full synthetic 5w or 10w-30 FW-C approved oil for a 4.2L Yamaha outboard. I understand high zinc is important for flat tappets, Mobil 1 high mileage was my choice but is now very hard to find it seems for me at a reasonable cost, are there any other lower price options? Valvoline has a high mileage option, but I am not sure. Sierra makes 10w-30 marine in gallons, but was wondering if any off the shelf auto or diesel options at Wally World will do. Sorry I am cheap and have always done my own changes of oil, but always want to use "the right stuff". Thanks in advance.

Not sure why the spec is important unless you're under warranty? but Quaker State defy fits the bill of extra ZDDP. It carries an API SL rating and comes in 5w30, 10w30 and 10w40 sometimes.

Thank you so much Memphis. Which QS has full synth and the high ZDDP like Mobil 1 high mileage? I will be under warr., but I've heard Yamalube is not all that, my dealer is very$$$$$$$$$$$$, and if I do it myself I do it right. Thanks for your info.

There is nothing directly comparable to Mobil 1 High Mileage. It's really a sweet product. QS defy is very similar but probably uses less synthetic base oils. They are both API SL rated oils.

I am running NAPA 15-40 universal fleet in my Yamaha F115 for 3 years now. Send it to Blackstone every 50 hrs and all is well. They have told me to go to 100 hrs, but 50 is about a year for me. This is a diesel oil so it has corossion inhibitors, 12ppm zink, and additives fer fuel diloution. Just what the"FWC" oils have. My engine is a 2005 made before those FWC oils were around, and has not retroactivly blown up.

Hope you havent changed the oil yet. If Yamaha says you need a FC-W 10w30 synthetic then thats what you gotta put in to stay in warranty. I have heard of a lot of people being denied warranty due to not using the right oil. Outboard manufactures are not as lenient as the automotive guys.

Here is their reasoning behind being so specific on oil:

Why you need the NMMA FC-W approval. Mobil 1 doesnt have FC-W approval
-Automotive oils have "less" corrosion protection then FC-W oils are supposed to have. NMMA has certified these oils with the FC-W approval for marine use. Just like you trust API ratings for auto use, NMMA is your approval body for Marine lube

10w30. Same as with a car, under warranty, you follow what is on the oil cap or in the manual, because they say its the best for that engine. After warranty, you can put in 20w50 or Ow20 for all they care.

Synthetic - Your engine has a catalyst. Marine synthetic lubricants are designed to work well with high friction engines such as flat tappet, and work well with catalysts. You put a high zinc diesel oil in, and you could possibly plug the catalyst, for the same reason zinc was reduced with API SM, SN. You need an oil that is catalyst safe, but willing to withstand 6000 RPM of continuous use.

For the most part, you can use any HDEO for marine use, EXCEPT when under warranty. For your warranty, stick EXACTLY to the manufactures specs. Or you may be out another $8000 motor if anything goes wrong and they deny warranty

In reading my manual more closely, they recommend Yamalube 10w-30, but 10w-30 API SE thru SL are group 1 acceptable choices. I guess they just want high ZDDP. Thanks for the replies. I see PJ1 Goldfire 4T Synthetic Blend Motor Oil, Brad Penn 10W-30 Partial Synthetic Racing Oil, and Red Line 10305 30WT 10W-30 Race Oil are excellent choices based on ZDDP content.

First oil change on 4.2L Yamaha went with Yami filter (*&%#%#$%) expensive and M1 5w40 diesel 6 qts.. Oil change a breeze with design and engine runs great. I still am an Evinrude guy, but the oil change design on the 4.2L is very easy with extractor and a ladder and no drip at all from filter. Very clean and easy change....and to be honest this will cost less than XD-100 oil.

I dont know of any outboards with a catalyst, or catalitic converter. I know mine does not have one. Yamahalube is 1100 PPM zinc. NAPA 15-40 is 1100-1200 PPM, No difference.

Originally Posted By: AjsGarage
Hope you havent changed the oil yet. If Yamaha says you need a FC-W 10w30 synthetic then thats what you gotta put in to stay in warranty. I have heard of a lot of people being denied warranty due to not using the right oil. Outboard manufactures are not as lenient as the automotive guys.

Here is their reasoning behind being so specific on oil:

Why you need the NMMA FC-W approval. Mobil 1 doesnt have FC-W approval
-Automotive oils have "less" corrosion protection then FC-W oils are supposed to have. NMMA has certified these oils with the FC-W approval for marine use. Just like you trust API ratings for auto use, NMMA is your approval body for Marine lube

10w30. Same as with a car, under warranty, you follow what is on the oil cap or in the manual, because they say its the best for that engine. After warranty, you can put in 20w50 or Ow20 for all they care.

Synthetic - Your engine has a catalyst. Marine synthetic lubricants are designed to work well with high friction engines such as flat tappet, and work well with catalysts. You put a high zinc diesel oil in, and you could possibly plug the catalyst, for the same reason zinc was reduced with API SM, SN. You need an oil that is catalyst safe, but willing to withstand 6000 RPM of continuous use.

For the most part, you can use any HDEO for marine use, EXCEPT when under warranty. For your warranty, stick EXACTLY to the manufactures specs. Or you may be out another $8000 motor if anything goes wrong and they deny warranty

This guy is on the right track, there are reasons FC-W approved oils are suggested for marine outboard applications. Using a diesel oil will almost certainly lead to phosphorus contamination of your catalyst.

The other main differences between regular PCMOs/Diesel oils and oils with FC-W approvals are FC-W oils are designed to resist corrosion better and also operate at higher temperatures.

The FC-W standards are nothing incredible. FC-W certainly does not outline anything beyond the capabilities of a good HDEO. HDEO oils are designed for temps and corrosion resistance beyond what a gas outboard will likely ever see.

What's all of this talk about a catalyst in an outboard? There's no such thing yet.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Yamalube !! Pricy but then you spent big $$$$$$$$ on the awesome engine ?

Yamalube is nothing special. There are better oils that cost less money available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back