Do any production cars use straight cut gears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to yell at my resident Australian then, he told me the rally car I showed him a video of had straight cut because they held more power.

Off the top of my head, I think GM used straight-cut planetary gears in the TH475 (extreme-duty TH400) transmissions...they were used in motorhomes, HD chassis-cabs, and Stepvans, usually behind 454's.

I mentally connect the reverse whine related to straight cut gears to a car possibly backing when I'm in a parking lot. It's almost like a redneck warning beeper.
wink.gif

I think that the early Austin Mini's had straight cut gears, same with first generation Fiat 500's.

Many older cars with non syncro first gear had straight cut on Fisrt.

The reverse gear in our CR-V sounds like it's straight-cut. Or, at least it makes the same noise as a manual transmission does in reverse. Our MDX's reverse gear is as quiet as the forward gears, so I assume that it's cut the same as them.

Originally Posted By: expat
I think that the early Austin Mini's had straight cut gears, same with first generation Fiat 500's.

Many older cars with non syncro first gear had straight cut on Fisrt.

Mini's had straight cut first and reverse gears on earlier models. Selecting
reverse effectively was putting an idler gear between first gear and the layshaft, staight cut gears were easier to construct for this purpose.
The characteristic whine from mini's and their bigger Austin/Morris 1100 and 1300 cousins was due to the idler gear between the crankshaft and input shaft. The Austin 1100 owners club magazine is called "Idle Chatter" btw.
smile.gif

Claud

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back