Post your BULLETPROOF engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now we know that none are bulletproof (aka: 21 year old daughter-proof) BUT do you know of some engine series that just are tougher? I believe that Blackstone has rated the Toyota V6 3.4L a high performer for low wear and high miles of life.

The Modular, the Ford 300 I6 (as mentioned above) and the old HO Windsor was pretty bloody bulletproof as long as you didn't push it much above 500RWHP with boost.

The Modular is probably the longest lasting engine in recent history though with many examples cresting the 500,000 mile mark, and of course the million mile van. Their longevity and durability in LEO/Limo service is legendary.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I can't say I've ever seen an engine more indestructible than the Ford 300 inline 6.
I had a ex girlfriend that had a Mercury Zepher with a 200 in it. She blew a hose about 40 miles south of vegas on I-15. She kept driving with the hot light on until she got stopped at the Bug checkK in Dagget,ca. A distance of about 90 miles. The engine locked up when she stopped @ the bug check. She let it sit and a good Samaritan taped up the hose,filled it with water and sent her on her way.

She drove that car another couple of years then sold it. I saw it around town into the 2000's!

If you can find a car from the early 90s still running on the same engine, it'll probably run for a lot longer. You really need to worry about the transmission and rest of the car more at that point.

Modular 4.6 & Porsche Boxer
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I can't say I've ever seen an engine more indestructible than the Ford 300 inline 6.

Amen.

Slant 6 Chrysler 225ci.

My first car was a '72 Duster. Motor was rebuilt prior to me getting it at 196k miles. I sold it at 295k and only had to change the oil.

I'm surprised nobody said it yet.

Buick 3.8 minus the UIM/LIM and related Dexcool gasket issues.

GM LS series. Hot Rod put cheap turbos on a 4.8 (thought to be 5.3) and reliably pumped out around 1200HP on tons of dyno pulls.

I absolutely love the LS series.

We used a Toyota 4.7 V8 to replace an industrial engine in a mining operation that turns a ball mill. This is our second such application. If there is a severe classification for a motor vehicle I'd call this service brutal. This engine runs for 8-10 hours at a stretch, fully loaded at 4-5K rpm and we converted it to natural gas. This kind of load would kill an ordinary engine but this Toyota V8 is doing just fine. It has run the equivalent of 100K road miles so far pulling down a tremendous load. The clearance for the mechanical valve lifters is still in spec and it burns very little oil. We've added a larger sump (12 qts), an oil cooler and a larger coolant radiator with a big electric fan because this engine does not move. And we've added a great big paper element air cleaner and a larger than stock oil filter (Mobil 1, M1-209) and a bypass oil filter. For the cooling system we use distilled water and zinc chromate with a water soluble lubricant, a filter and a sacrificial disc. The oil is Red Line 10w-40 and we us no additives. We trust the oil to do it's job without us messing with it. The replacement industrial engine would have been $12K. So we went to the junk yard and got a Toyota pickup with the V8 engine that had about 10K miles before being totaled. You can do a lot with a welder, plasma cutter and some cutting and fitting.

This setup has now been copied by some of our friends in the same business and the results are very good. This is one very good engine.

Good friend of mine drove his 96 Lexus ES300 until it had 410k miles on it, no oil consumption and no engine work. He sold it to a neighbor over a year ago and still sees the car being driven around.

ex wife years ago drove an 83 533 BMW 30 minutes with the oil pressure light on...lasted another 130k miles...till she totaled. Sold me on Kendall 20w50 GT1

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
And of course the slant 6

I love how when someone says "The slant 6" everyone knows what they are referring to. No mention of brand needed.
They are pretty dang awesome engines no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back