Evans Waterless Coolant??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I understand that it makes the engine run hotter.

The thermostat will regulate the temp of the engine, not the type of coolant.
The evans is not as efficient as the regular coolant/water mix

Evans runs almost no pressure, since there is no water in it. It is less efficient, and can cause areas of the head to run hotter local temps. In diesels, it is supposed to reduce liner pitting from cavitation.

It takes on water, negating it's advantages. The thermostat does regulate the temperature, but only within the limits of the heat exchanger, cooling media, and available airflow. A lot of engines converted to NPG do in fact run hotter.

A lot of classics, however, have seen reduction and stabilization of cooling temps after conversion. This is especially true in engines that overheat due to runaway localized boiling. NPG'S boiling point is so high, it never gets a chance. These engines will typically run hot enough to vaporize any water that is absorbed while sitting.

I thought about it when I built my charger, but went with a 36psi cooling system instead.

I have never tried it, but there is a few videos on youtube (jay leno's garage) that show the benefits of the product. Leno seems to love the stuff because his cars that sit a lot don't corrode internally with it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I understand that it makes the engine run hotter.

The thermostat will regulate the temp of the engine, not the type of coolant.
The evans is not as efficient as the regular coolant/water mix

Donald is corrrect as I have mentioned..Even if it can cary more btu's per cubic inch it tends to not give up as many btus at the radiator. It all evens out. Specific heat enthalpy really has little bearing on overall heat transfer. More relevant is heat conductivity of the coolant medium and I have the feeling that really isn't that relevant either.

Having said that I doubt that this stuff is worth the $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back