1999 Taurus heat issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

A friends 1999 Taurus with the electronic HVAC system is blowing nothing but cold air. The heater hoses and heater core are all brand new along with the thermostat.

Last week you could hear a thumping sound in the dash, like a vent was trying to close. It will switch from vent to defrost, etc. But will not switch to warm air.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

I would think that whoever just replaced the heater core needs to take another look at it (blend air door).

Last edited:
If the Taurus is anything like the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis - most likely it is what is known as the "blend door actuator." There is a small part the opens and closes the "blend door" that lets in either hot or cool air. I've replaced the one for my Mercury.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1354823,parttype,10721

Most books tell you that the dash has to be removed, but if you search the internet many people have figured out a way to do it without completely removing the dash. This was the case for me - I was able to remove the passenger airbag and pull the dash out a little and able to access it. Not an easy job but not as bad as it could be.

It was replaced last summer and worked fine until this morning. Is that something that would be effected by a faulty HVAC control in the dash?

It could be but for me the key thing is you mentioned that there was a "thumping" noise in the dash. That is usually one of the signs of a bad actuator. That seems a little soon for one to go bad - but stranger things have happened. Do you know if an OEM part was used or not?

It sounds like you narrowed it down for me. I'm sure it was not OEM, probably the cheapest they could find. Thanks a lot fellas!

I thought I had a blend door issue on my '99 Taurus too. It turned out to be an obstructed heater core. Flushed the heater core and it go a little better. Needs a heater core.

Heater core is the most common problem, my 99 Taurus has a plugged core right now, but if it was working fine one day and now nothing it's probably not the heater core, the core should lose performance slowly as it plugs up with scale.

There's a wealth of informationoon Taurus car club too if you want some other topics to search, it's probably related to blend door or actuator as already mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back