Long break in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If and when I get my Subaru XT turbo I was thinking of doing a long break in.The manual states be carefull for the first 1000 miles.I was going to drive only stop and go for 3K and at either 3K or 6K get them to do the first oil change.Would stop and go driving be better for break in?Thanks Joe

engines need to vary in rpm and load so everything seats properly. I believe in the drive it harder than not to break in but that's my opinion. Highway is not a good break in so yeah stop and go is better.

I owned an 07' WRX I bought new. I read the manual the first day I got the car but drove it like I stole it when breaking it in. I also changed the oil out well before 1000 miles with 5W30 Valvoline conventional. My car used between a pint and half a quart every 4k miles when the miles climbed. I also modded my car with a stage 2 Perrin tune and downpipe.

I sold the car last month with over 135K on it. I only had two issues with the car. The OEM battery lasted only 2 years. My wife was in Brooklyn visiting her parents when it died. Her dad installed a Carquest battery that was still in the WRX when I sold it. The clutch slave cylinder went out. Ordered a rebuild kit at the Subaru dealer for $20 and fixed it myself.

Last edited:
Change the FF at 1000-1500 then regular OCI. For a Turbo I would be inclined to use only synthetic oil.

Don't baby it but don't drive it at redline either. I always break in my new engines with a moderately aggressive break in procedure. Never had a problem or oil consumption issues. Run the FF to 1000 miles, change out to your oil of choice and drive as normal, whatever that is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back