Towing a Garden Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would appreciate some good advice on the best approach here:
I am getting a Craftsman Garden Tractor from a neighbor who lives about 1/2 mile away. I just found out the house was sold and they are moving Saturday--so I need a quick solution
Equipment = Craftsman GT model = ? maybe X5000: it is at least 10, prolly 15 years old. It has been sitting for 2 years
Engine = B & S 27 or 28 hp twin
Trans = hydro, not sure which brand
Problem is, I do not have the time to go thru it properly and get it running before moving it. I am thinking of towing it with either another tractor or the truck, no access to a dolley either
Question is: am I going to damage the trans if I put it in neutral and tow it without the tractor engine running? This machine is heavy, at least 600 pounds-prolly more

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Look in the manual. My John Deere with a hydrostatic? drive has a special lever that MUST be set in order to safety move any distance.

I'll second this. I have a Wheel Horse hydrostatic that also has a lever to disengage the transmission.

I agree with the others about the hydrastatic transmisson disconect. Got it on my Husqvarna. However - that model and the age of it, I doubt it is a hydrostatic transmission. Basically, if if it has gears that you can select - its a conventional transmission.

I have a Craftsman, its maybe 6 years old. Any Craftsman I have ever seen has the rod you pull out in the back area. It pulls out and has a flange that will lock down into the keyhole it comes out from. Do that and its OK to move.

Hello,
Does your vehicle even have a receiver hitch?
I had to rent a pick up truck to swap refrigerators once. The refrigerators were 5 miles apart. 17 miles total driving.
I went to every shade-tree mechanic and bar seeking to pay someone with a pick up and found no one.
Your 1/2 mile distance makes it more ironic. Kira

thanks guys for the quick response. This truely is the best forum to belong to.
The tractor status is basically if you want it, take it because we're leaving Saturday
I have no access to the manual--hopefully they have the key
smile.gif

I will look for the lever--thanks-- i would have never known to look for it
The truck is an old Tahoe--so, yes, it does have a hitch--thanks for the thought though

Steve

A measly half-mile away?!?

I'd roll it or carry it on my back for that little distance.

Kidding on the 'back' part. Like said, if you want to free-wheel it and it's equipped with a hydrostatic drive, it will have a clearly marked "bypass" lever, probably on the rear hitch plate area. You won't be able to roll it w/out the bypass engaged. All it does is disconnect fluid flow from hydro pump to hydro motor, allowing the unit to roll freely.

For that short a distance, just slow tow it with another rider.

thanks again guys--I will look for the lever/linkage tomorrow.
FWIW-the 1/2 mile is all uphill and this model is a GT, not a LT

I'm pretty sure Sears used HydroGear trans on it's GT series since the late 90's. Mine is a '99 and that's whats in it. The ones I see at Sears still have the same tranny.

There is a little lever on the top right of the drawbar plate that you lift to disengage the trans. It should have a cotter thru it to keep it one way or the other.

Once that's out of gear, I don't see why you couldn't tow it at a low speed (less that 10mph) that distance.

You can get Sears manuals from their parts department fairly cheap if you have a model #.

Yep, should be a HydroGear. IIRC, there was an odd year or two some years back where Sears used TuffTorq hydrostatic drives on some models, but either way, they'll all have that bypass lever/rod in the same areas.

thanks again folks--very helpful. The move was changed to this weekend, (I'm dealing with a crazy person here) so we'll see what's going on

Don't blame your neighbors for wanting to get out of NJ as fast as possible ;-) I did, and am very happy. Best of luck with the mower. One more suggestion, if you can fit it; use an automotive filter in place of a B&S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back