Snow Plowing Contract: Wants More $ to Move Snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Our condo complex has two lots with ~60 parking spots total. For $5k for the winter we have a contract with a local company to plow anything >= 1", shovel entryway and paths around the two buildings, and lay down some salt.

The company has done a great job so far. The few times we've had snow they were here, taking care of business. They laid down some salt before the blizzard (kind of a waste, IMO, since it was immediately buried, but good for them,) plowed once Monday night, and then cleared us all out yesterday afternoon.

Unfortunately, they didn't push the initial loads of snow far enough back, so the mound of snow piled up quickly and right at the edge of the perimeter of the lot. They also plowed in the other building's dumpster, so it is not accessible.

They want $110/hr and quoted ~$1k to clear the dumpster and take away the snow. The board recommends this, because we're also due for more snow and have mostly run out of room to put it. We're on the condo board, but were immediately out-voted when we asked for more information and to discuss our options further. I'm new to condo living, but it seems like most of the members of the board are the type who would authorize paying a grand for suggested auto maintenance when all they were in for was an oil change.

What do you guys think about the initial cost and 20% additional cost they're asking to clean up their cleaning up? I understand that everywhere is different and the cost is hard to gage based on my location listed (CT.) Just a general question. I've asked my wife to review the contract and discuss this with the board further, even though they've already "voted"

Tell the board that you'll do it for half. Do it yourself, or hire some dude off craigslist and supervise them.

Check your current contract. You might need a lawyer for this.

Yes, there was a lot of snow to move but they should have known enough to push it back far enough for more.

Find out who hired the current contractor too. It's not uncommon for them to be the "friend" of another board member.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan

Yes, there was a lot of snow to move but they should have known enough to push it back far enough for more.

Find out who hired the current contractor too. It's not uncommon for them to be the "friend" of another board member.

+1
Seems like they are just looking for some easy money. The snow removal guys for our buildings will bring some heavy equipment and use it to wreck our fences if the snow builds up too much... But they don't charge extra for the service.

Obligatory use a flamethrower to melt the snow comment and pic:
m1_type_flamethrower.jpg

Doesn't sound unreasonable at all. When I use to plow, the plowing contract never included hauling the snow away. That was always extra. $110/hr isn't a bad rate for a loader and dump truck. We charged more than that, and that was over 10 years ago.

As far as pushing the snow back goes, we would push to the curb, but not up and over curbs. Plowing up and over curbs is hard on equipment, tears up lawns, and damages sprinkler systems, which we would end up being liable for.

I was there when we voted on the current contract. The company had good word-of-mouth, according to our president, and a moderate price for services performed.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Go rent a bobcat for a day and DIY.

Right. One of my points is that we don't need to remove the snow from the site, but it should have been pushed farther back. I guarantee they could have with more action or more planning/strategy.

My nephew has a snow plowing business. He uses a bobcat to just pile it higher. You should be able to get a 4wd Bobcat with a material bucket delivered and picked up from your place for about $500/day. In one day you can lift and move a lot of snow.

Last edited:
I wonder how much of that 1K pricing is "demand pricing", meaning if you wait a week the price might be more reasonable (if it doesn't snow again between now and then).

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

+1
Seems like they are just looking for some easy money. The snow removal guys for our buildings will bring some heavy equipment and use it to wreck our fences if the snow builds up too much... But they don't charge extra for the service.

Bingo. Find out if the contact stipulates additional charges for snow exceeding 'x' amount of inches. If not tell them its their problem, or if there's an attorney on the board let him write them a letter.

It sounds to me like their contract backfired this time around and they're looking for extra $$ from anyone who is not willing to challenge them.

sound like sleezebags. They improperly plow in your dumpster then want a ransom to get it free?

I loathe dealing with these types.

Go ahead and pay them if you have to, then go to small claims to get it back. That's the way to deal with guys like that. Make sure you protest paying the extra.

I'd get my garbage and throw it on the snow pile that blocks the dumpster. Perhaps there might be a hole in the garbage bag and the garbage would be everywhere
wink.gif

Read the contract (with a fine tooth comb)

I'd be more inclined to tell the plow service that the snow will be pushed out of the way/removed on their dime (if the contract supports it) or they will not be rehired for next year or subsequent years. The owner might be inclined to do a better job knowing that they could lose out on thousands of dollars on future contracts. He likely just wanted to do a bare minimum job so that he could get on down the road to all the other available jobs ($$$)

Simply put, it seems to me that they didnt hold up their end of the bargain: Plow the lot.. correctly.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why I have a snow blower, to get the snow out of the way.

It sounds kind of dumb on their part to push snow around a dumpster such that it cannot be used.

They seem to have gotten away with charging $110/hour to fix their screw-up...so it looks smart to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back