Royal Purple horsepower gains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMorg
My point is still being missed. The custom tune run was at 1:49, before ALL listed stock runs on RP. NO runs are listed for RP before adjustments. My question related to whether it is even possible to make adjustments between Stock oil and RP oil and conclude that RP was tested under the same conditions.

I have seen several posters say that RP oil was tested under the same conditions at stock oil while ignoring that the data provided shows that the Stage 1 tune was done before the stock tune for the RP runs. In the text, the link suggests a sequence of events that do not seem to be compatible with the data that they show. That is what troubles me.

I don't expect a statistical power test, or even a great experimental design for this type of data. That part doesn't bother me. However, to imply one thing having done something else implies that either the author of the link did not understand what was done or that the the author is not being truthful -- that bothers me.

I was hoping that someone would read the time stamps and tell me where I am wrong. Or, someone would explain that there are no stored data on this vehicle and that it is possible to change tunings back and forth with repeatability. I have not heard either.

I agree, the sequence of events and background data seem lacking.

What i was saying was the Dyno data itself appears to be as tested.

In terms of friction modification additives and base oil mix, I can modify both to get that percentage of HP rather easily. Now I can also tell you that the wear data will be worse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven
They never dyno'd RP on a stock tune.
Car came in. Oil was changed to Subaru 5w30 with Subaru filter and then dyno'd 3-4 times. Then the Subaru got a COBB tune and dyno'd again 3-4 times. Then the oil and filter were changed to Royal Purple 5w30 HPS and then dyno'd 3-4 times.
As to why they dyno RP last, RP has made it very clear as to why. Because their Synerlec additive clings to metal parts and if it were to be dyno'd first there would be residual synerlec additive still remaining in the engine after RP is drained and the next oil dyno'd would probably lead to better dyno numbers.

All oil additives cling to metal.

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Purple Valvoline make big power!!!

Car go fast!!!!!

drink it. make your brain faster.

I'll have a little TWS neat but that's about it.

But after a couple of glasses of the good stuff, that grape Barney juice might taste okay though.

Still wouldn't put it in a vehicle of mine.

Marketing gimmicks need not apply.

Maybe the guys at RP can formulate a great product that produces lower wear, higher horsepower, and cleaner engines than all other products on the market. Why lie about what was done in this series of dyno runs? (I'm still open to being corrected if the timestamps are wrong or if I am misunderstanding something here.)

Does the pro-RP crowd not see the obvious distortion of this great RP story. I am guessing that there will be not any admissions of buying the hype without noticing the details.

If my toast comes out of the toaster with purplish distortion in the shape of an "R" and a "P" will that too be proof of something?

Purple Valvoline make big power!!!

Car go fast!!!!!

I was under the impression that the "purple Valvoline" was the non-Synerlec one?

This thread is not bashing RP, if this was Mobil 1, Shell or anyone else... people would still question the results...

When you post a number, you had better be able to back it up with data and science.

Not "run #1 ... run #2 etc. with ZERO documentation of any of the myriad variables that can, and do impact the final number.

So has any one contacted RP to have them explain in more detail or is this just a thread of complaints and doubts?

Maybe the guys at RP can formulate a great product that produces lower wear, higher horsepower, and cleaner engines than all other products on the market. Why lie about what was done in this series of dyno runs? (I'm still open to being corrected if the timestamps are wrong or if I am misunderstanding something here.)

Does the pro-RP crowd not see the obvious distortion of this great RP story. I am guessing that there will be not any admissions of buying the hype without noticing the details.

If my toast comes out of the toaster with purplish distortion in the shape of an "R" and a "P" will that too be proof of something?

I posted that I had a few questions based on the sequence. I also posted the temp and humidity for each run and said it could have made an impact. I don't think this is some big conspiracy nor that RP fudged anything as some claim though.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
So has any one contacted RP to have them explain in more detail or is this just a thread of complaints and doubts?

IT is about RP so complaints and doubts.

My point is still being missed. The custom tune run was at 1:49, before ALL listed stock runs on RP. NO runs are listed for RP before adjustments. My question related to whether it is even possible to make adjustments between Stock oil and RP oil and conclude that RP was tested under the same conditions.

I have seen several posters say that RP oil was tested under the same conditions at stock oil while ignoring that the data provided shows that the Stage 1 tune was done before the stock tune for the RP runs. In the text, the link suggests a sequence of events that do not seem to be compatible with the data that they show. That is what troubles me.

I don't expect a statistical power test, or even a great experimental design for this type of data. That part doesn't bother me. However, to imply one thing having done something else implies that either the author of the link did not understand what was done or that the the author is not being truthful -- that bothers me.

I was hoping that someone would read the time stamps and tell me where I am wrong. Or, someone would explain that there are no stored data on this vehicle and that it is possible to change tunings back and forth with repeatability. I have not heard either.

I don't think it really matters when the stock vs. custom runs were made as long as they made the same runs on both oils. What I mean is runs with stock tune and then runs with custom tune for both oils. I agree it seems odd based on the time stamps but it doesn't mean anything shady was going on.

On modern vehicles like the one that was tested you can go from stock to performance tunes easily with a laptop or handheld tuner. Once you make the change it is made. From what they posted there were no bolt-ons involved so if it is just tuning then I am not overly concerned about the sequence. If you have ever been in a vehicle that has been tuned with a handheld device( superchips, diablo, hypertech, etc... )and then returned to the stock tune you will know it is very noticeable and it is instant and the same applies going from stock to performance tunes. So even if RP did some stock runs, then some custom runs, then went back to stock it isn't a big deal IMO. Odd yes but not sneaky or any kind of attempt to fudge results.

For me seeing as both oils were tested 3-4 times each with the stock tune and then with the custom tune I am good with it even if the sequence seems odd. The reason being the tune can be changed and it's impact is immediate. It shouldn't matter for this purpose and especially with more than just one run.

I would have liked to see RP do it a little more organized. All stock runs on the Subaru oil then all the custom tune runs. I would be ok with the RP being tested on the custom tune 1st seeing as it would already be loaded then doing all the stock runs after. Other wise they are changing oil twice for each brand OR having to swap between the custom tune and stock one a few times.

How do we know the Subaru oil wasn't tested in this same odd manner? They only show one slip with the Subaru oil so maybe they jumped around with the tune on it too. Both oils were synthetic and the same weight, were tested on the same dyno on the same day, and they did multiple runs on both the stock tune and a custom tune. While the procedure doesn't seem to be 100% organized I do believe it is fair to say they were tested the same.

JMHO.

Last edited:
If you like RP, use RP.

That's why each of us have favorite go-to oils that we use.

Every manufacturer/blender has their own marketing gimmicks like "liquid ball bearings" or "Z7", etc.

Fanciful performance claims aside, it's all about getting to the next OCI with relatively no wear and a relatively clean engine.

And from my time here on BITOG....

Sometimes it's not about the color of the oil bottle, it's the green left in your wallet.

If you like RP, use RP.

Every manufacturer/blender has their own marketing gimmicks like "liquid ball bearings" or "Z7", etc.

Fanciful performance claims aside, it's all about getting to the next OCI with relatively no wear and a relatively clean engine.

Sometimes it's not about the color of the oil bottle, it's the green left in your wallet.

Well said.

I haven't used RP, because its way overpriced IMO. I would use group 5 Motul for that price.

2 cents.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
If you like RP, use RP.

Well said.

I haven't used RP, because its way overpriced IMO. I would use group 5 Motul for that price.

2 cents.

The only Motul Group 5 is their 300V formula and last I checked it was much more expensive!

The problem is that no manufacturer gets more vilified for their claims than Royal Purple.
I never see threads where Shell gets lynched for their "our oils keep pistons xx% cleaner than others" If RP said that they keep pistons 60% cleaner than M1 or PPPP, members here would have a knipshit over it.

Members here need to get over the fact that a dynanometer has variances and variables. It does but still is the only way to measure horsepower. Thats why Royal purple did 3-4 runs of each so they can achieve a median. Bottom line is simply that Royal Purple can do everything right yet members will find a way to criticize the outcome. No test done in this world will have a 100% accuracy rate. One will always encounter variables not under their control.

The reason why there is a time gap in RP's dyno is because they ran each test 3-4 times. After every run one needs to cool down the dyno and run it again. The amount of heat it generates is crazy. You run a industrial size fan during and after to cool and dissipate humidity the best you can.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: disneyfire
I love R.P. best oil there is readily available...by far.

Based on what???

Based on Youtube evidence, ulx110 dino 10w50 is pretty good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back