ACEA A5/B5-12 Meeting Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOGERS,

Need help in locating list of oils which currently meet A5/B5-12 or A5/B5-10 specification? Any help will be much appreciated? - Thanks

Not sure that such a list exists.

You might have to do this the hard way and check out each oil manufacturer's website to see which one of their products meets it.

What makes matters worse is that some of them don't even specify which year revision of the given spec they meet (2010, 2012, etc). According to ACEA, only the 2012 revision should be marketed nowadays, but that's just theory...

But on a related subject, what is the application that makes you seek an oil with this particular spec?

Most car mfgs nowadays list their own oil spec in addition to an ACEA spec, and searching by this mfg spec is often easier than just searching by ACEA spec.

not many oils list what year A5/B5 spec they meet, but there are several that do say A5/B5 without the year. Spending a few min online at MFG sites or the local auto parts, or Walmart reading bottles will give what info that is available.

Hyundai's manual recomends an A5 oil for the turbo engines but QSUD 5W30 doesn't indicates that it meets this spec, what threw me over was that Hyundai recomends QS? What gives? I have so far looked up M1 and QS line of products while at work and didn't see the A5 spec listed, will check out UK websites. I wonder it's just not worth it in North American market to spend extra dough for the Euro based specs perhaps?

Thanks All for the input....so this what I have found so far:

For 5W30 oils
Mobil1 - A5 spec not listed
Castrol Edge & Edge EP - A5 (no year listed)
QSUD - A5 spec (from 2002)
Valvoline - A5 (no year indicated)
PP & PU - A5-12

Further Update...

30 Weight Oils
Amsoil SS - A5 (year not indicated)
Redline - A5 (year not indicated)
M1 AFE 0W30 - A5 (year not indicated)
M1 5W30/10W30 - A5 (year not indicated)
Royal Purple - Not Indicated

There is no requirement or expectation that the year be shown, because the expectation from ACEA is that the latest active version must be adhered to. There is no list and it'll be pretty much impossible to trawl all the suppliers' data sheets as they won't (necessarily) show the year.

A reputable brand should abide by ACEA's demands and there is a high level of trust an assumption involved.

Its right here on page 2. When a new ACEA sequence is released (2012), oil marketers can only claim the previous sequence (2010) for a further 2 years.

ACEA 2010 sequences cannot be claimed after December 22 2014 which would be why Mobil has stopped claiming A5 against M1 5w30. For them to claim A5 it needs to meet ACEA 2012

Look for an oil that meets WSS M2C 913D, this should meet A5 2012. 913C aligns closer to A5 2010.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Further Update...

30 Weight Oils
Amsoil SS - A5 (year not indicated)
Redline - A5 (year not indicated)
M1 AFE 0W30 - A5 (year not indicated)
M1 5W30/10W30 - A5 (year not indicated)
Royal Purple - Not Indicated

FYI, Amsoil and Redline are only "recommended for", not officially meeting the spec. Not sure about RP - I couldn't find a single mention of ACEA A5 anywhere on their website. Must have missed it.

Thanks SuperCity and yes Quattro Pete, RP had no mention of any ACEA Spec of any sort anywhere on their website! Absolutely ZILCH!

I wonder how many manufacturers actually re-certify/renew their A5 certifications, other than PU/PP no other product clearly states that they meet 2012 A5 spec. That is in my books holds pure respect for Pennzoil Co. coming from a lifelong Castrol Fan Boy!

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim

I wonder how many manufacturers actually re-certify/renew their A5 certifications, other than PU/PP no other product clearly states that they meet 2012 A5 spec. That is in my books holds pure respect for Pennzoil Co. coming from a lifelong Castrol Fan Boy!

I'm sure the majors like Castrol and Mobil et al will play by the rules. Listing "2012" as part of the specification is technically not playing by the rules.

Last edited:
In that regard, SOPUS is a mixed bag. The Pennzoil products list the year (12), so they could have been producing products compliant with ACEA labeling requirements until recently. The Quaker State products from SOPUS ("A5-02") hasn't been compliant with the ACEA labeling requirements for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back