Short trips Toyota Corolla OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
4x 5mile trips/day. I live close to the highway and my work is close to the highway
grin.gif
so theres 4 stops/trip, no light. I drive easy.

I was wondering what would be more suitable for me. Use a cheap conventional 10w30 and change twice/year (~3000mi) or stick with the expensive Shell Helix 5w30 and change once a year (~5000mi)?

Manual says 5w30, 10w30, 15w40 API SN/ILSAC GF-4. Change every 3000mi. 4,5qt with filter.
Comments?

I don't know if there is a right answer. In my opinion, you can do either!
smile.gif

And with a good synthetic oil, once a year and 5000 miles is easily doable!

Last edited:
I bet if you changed once/year it'd still go 10 years. I don't think you get wild temperature extremes there? If it's pretty seasonable I'd probably lean towards once/year; if it swings a bit then spring/fall changes.

One upshot of doing it twice a year would mean doing it when you feel like it, and never having to worry about having to get it done on time.

My MiL has a corolla and only drives it maybe once or twice a week. I usually use a High Mileage semi-syn oil like Maxlife or Castrol and change once a year.

Been like that most of its life with around 80k on it now and going strong.

Shell Helix 5w30 and change once a year (~5000mi) I have had 6 Toyotas all get synthetic oil and 5000 OCI

Last edited:
Those 1zz-fe pistons run at elevated temperatures, reason why the older piston designs with only 4 oil returns hole (8 updated design) started to burn oil.

you being in brazil, I don't know the motor oil quality you guys have, also your vehicle is E100 right? I'm not sure if that has any effect on the motor oil either. I would run a full synthetic at 5000 miles to be on the safe side, and I mean miles, not kilometers.

Appreciated your comments!

Originally Posted By: supton
I don't think you get wild temperature extremes there?

Not at all.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Those 1zz-fe pistons run at elevated temperatures, reason why the older piston designs with only 4 oil returns hole (8 updated design) started to burn oil.

you being in brazil, I don't know the motor oil quality you guys have, also your vehicle is E100 right? I'm not sure if that has any effect on the motor oil either. I would run a full synthetic at 5000 miles to be on the safe side, and I mean miles, not kilometers.

Well the car is new to me IDK whether is burning oil or not. So far so good.
Mine is 1zz-fbe made in brazil
562_usado_corolla_abre.jpg

Not a FFV, but an E25 burner. Well, I think this motor deserves at least a semi-synthetic oil, and with averages 70+F on startup, it would be fine with a semi 10w40 sold there (like helix or total quartz), and 5k miles/once a year would be fine even for short trips like that, being a daily driven car, IMO.
Nice car!
Falou ai rapah, blz?

Last edited:
Id stick with the once a year on Helix 5w30. Its a solid car. I bought my 07 with about the same mileage as you. Make sure the ECM recall has been taken care of on it, and check the timing chain tensionner, they have a tendency of leaking. Only thing I have done on mine since I bought it with 80,000kms (besides the above, done under warranty) was both wheel bearings and one of my shocks burst a leak (our roads are terrible here) so if your roads are in good shape, I doubt the shocks or wheel bearings will be much if any of an issue for you.

Originally Posted By: Luciano
Mine is 1zz-fbe made in brazil
562_usado_corolla_abre.jpg

right which is why I pointed out that yours runs on E100, which is why its called a 1zz-fbe with same internals just a different fuel system is all...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Not a FFV, but an E25 burner. Well, I think this motor deserves at least a semi-synthetic oil, and with averages 70+F on startup, it would be fine with a semi 10w40 sold there (like helix or total quartz), and 5k miles/once a year would be fine even for short trips like that, being a daily driven car, IMO.
Nice car!
Falou ai rapah, blz?

Sure 10w40 semi is a smart choice. I bet the car will not complain right?
crazy.gif

Obrigado amigo.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Make sure the ECM recall has been taken care of on it, and check the timing chain tensionner, they have a tendency of leaking. Only thing I have done on mine since I bought it with 80,000kms (besides the above, done under warranty) was both wheel bearings and one of my shocks burst a leak (our roads are terrible here) so if your roads are in good shape, I doubt the shocks or wheel bearings will be much if any of an issue for you.

Rolla07 thanks for the notes on ECM and timing chain tensioner. Yeah it was leaking! Just replaced that o-ring few days ago. Piece of cake.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
right which is why I pointed out that yours runs on E100, which is why its called a 1zz-fbe with same internals just a different fuel system is all...

Oh i get it now duh not used with the nomenclature.
Current running on E100 but all Corollas 2007+ sold here is FFV. Anyways never seen an evidence to support draining the oil earlier when running on E100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back