car bible revelation on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Can I use diesel engine oil in my petrol engine?

This is an awkward question to answer. Diesel engines run much higher compression ratios than petrol engines and they run a lot hotter, so the oil is formulated to deal with this. Plus they produce a lot more dirt in terms of combustion by-products. Diesel-rated oils typically have more detergents in them to deal with this (see Using Diesel oil for flushing above). It's not unheard of for diesel oils to clean a petrol engine so well that it loses compression.

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible_pg2.html

I find it quite comical. Gave me a chuckle.
crackmeup2.gif

Go to the outdoor power equipment and a lot of people suggest using a diesel oil for small gas engines. Of course they run hotter, but the dirt content is not like a diesel. No one there said there engines lost compression.

Diesel oils are very popular with the motorcycle crowd and have an excellent track record in that application.

I've said it in some other thread, but it applies to pretty much everything including oil. Some people will make up their own facts just to hold on to their views. Some go a step further and will try to push those "facts" onto others.

How does it clean the engine to the point of having no compression? Unless you have really bad rings and your only compression is from severe coking?

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, I love how this thread hit the ground running.

Is it true that diesel oil has cleaning capacity and/or dirt carrying capacity or not? Kira

Diesels do have more detergents and dispersants to deal with high soot loading, however I would not say that this equates to better cleaning.

I've questioned this logic before when synthetics are lauded as having better cleaning capabilities. I am not aware of any ILSAC, SAE, ACEA or manufacturer's specification that sets limits on oil's abilities to clean. That is why I question the logic of more detergents = better cleaning oil.

Let's be clear on what "diesel" oil means.

Oils for heavy duty diesels tend to be richer in detergent (and, more critically, dispersant) but these tend not to carry any recent gasoline specs on them.

However, oils for light duty diesels (ie cars/vans) are usually developed to cover both diesel and gasoline applications. In fact the ACEA sequences demand it, so you can't really find a Euro-style oil that is only suitable one way or the other (unless there are very specific OEM specs/demands).

API doesn't really have a light duty diesel coverage, given the paucity of light-duty diesels in USland.

Originally Posted By: weasley

Oils for heavy duty diesels tend to be richer in detergent (and, more critically, dispersant) but these tend not to carry any recent gasoline specs on them.

However, oils for light duty diesels (ie cars/vans) are usually developed to cover both diesel and gasoline applications. In fact the ACEA sequences demand it, so you can't really find a Euro-style oil that is only suitable one way or the other (unless there are very specific OEM specs/demands).

API doesn't really have a light duty diesel coverage, given the paucity of light-duty diesels in USland.
Actually the HDEO oils are fleet type oils . Then there are low speed diesel oils which are different than HDEOs.

Heavy duty or not, if it's equipped with the EGR, the oil will be heavily loaded with soot, no matter if it’s a 3,000lb car or a 40,000lb tractor trailer. The oil has to be able to deal with the soot, so I don't think the level of dispersants is the differentiator here between these oils. More likely than not, it's the emission and energy conserving requirements.

If it is on the computer it must be fact and the truth. No need to discern just believe.

Well, back in the bad old days, when non detergent oils roamed the earth, it was not uncommon to come across engines that lost compression from ring sticking. It was sometimes possible to bring them back from their early death through use of very high detergent oils. In fact, ATF (Shudder!) was often cited as a way to dissolve the carbon trap the rings were subject to.

So........This ancient experience is exactly opposite to the warning in the original post. There are reasons to use the proper, recommended oil. But fear of too much detergent action really is not one of them.

Originally Posted By: weasley

That's really only true under the ACEA regime. The oil I'm running in my G37 is E7/E9, which are clearly heavy duty ACEA categories. It also has CJ-4/SM, the latter of which is a recent gasoline specification. There are several HDEOs out there that also have the SN specification. Of course, none of this should be construed to mean that they are GF-5 certified or are very similar to an A1/B1 A5/B5 lubricant, either, at least from a viscosity standpoint.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Well, back in the bad old days, when non detergent oils roamed the earth, it was not uncommon to come across engines that lost compression from ring sticking. It was sometimes possible to bring them back from their early death through use of very high detergent oils. In fact, ATF (Shudder!) was often cited as a way to dissolve the carbon trap the rings were subject to.

So........This ancient experience is exactly opposite to the warning in the original post. There are reasons to use the proper, recommended oil. But fear of too much detergent action really is not one of them.
Tijeras, Edgewood, Escabosa, is it Escabosa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back