Printer Ink cartridges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many choices on line to get these its over whelming so i'm asking where do you guys get yours from that seems reasonable?

I get mine directly from HP. The prices are reasonable and the shipping is free. We don't print a whole lot, so this is a one time per year cost, or even less.

You could try non-OEM if you want to save money, but some of these printer makers have gotten smart and will recognize that it's not an original cartridge and won't let you use it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Before I got a laserjet, I used the refill kits.

I did that with my old printer but these new ones seem like they never take well and last very long.

I bought mine on Amazon.
But, I have a laser printer. The factory starter cartridge did a ream and a half.
Got a 2 toner refill kit with chips for like $33. Works great.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I get mine directly from HP. The prices are reasonable and the shipping is free. We don't print a whole lot, so this is a one time per year cost, or even less.

You could try non-OEM if you want to save money, but some of these printer makers have gotten smart and will recognize that it's not an original cartridge and won't let you use it.

OEM Epson are $17+, ouch when mine takes 6!

I always get ours from ebay. Just find somebody with a ton of sales and a high satistfaction rating selling whatever generic knockoffs.

Our printer uses the HP02 cartridges, a large black one and 5 individual colors. From Amazon, you can get a 5 pack with 1 of each color for $54, and 2 pack of blacks for $35. That's about $90 total.

On ebay, the first hit for HP02 is a seller with refurb'ed generics - 3 blacks and 2 each of all the colors for $11, including the shipping cost. 20,000+ sales and a 99.2% satisfaction rate. Or if you prefer there's another guy selling new generics, same 13 pack, for $14 shipping included. Also 20k+ sales and 99%+ satisfaction.

I've probably bought 30 of these sorts of cartridges over the years and never had a bad experience. For printing random stuff around the house you'd have to be insane to pay for the HP cartridges.

jeff

Originally Posted By: daman

I see.

We mostly print in black. The extra large black cartridge for ours is $37. But at the current rate we print, it should last us 2 years.

I see.

We mostly print in black. The extra large black cartridge for ours is $37. But at the current rate we print, it should last us 2 years.

The printer my parents have, an Epson also, requires you to replace ALL the cartridges when one runs out.

Incredibly frustrating.

If your printer has 6 inks and you never print really nice photos on photo paper- you bought the wrong printer.

If your individual-cartridge epson makes you replace all of them when one runs out- that sucker is broken.

I'm on my 3rd epson in my life, did a stint with Canon and learned my lesson not to if you print less frequently.

The new Epsons with PowerCore heads are really impressive and fast and have much more ink capacity than previous models. Quick vid here:

The most impressive place for (aftermarket) ink I've found is http://shopping.netsuite.com/inkjetmall Seem to be really knowledgeable and they actually develop inks for photographers and created a line of B&W carbon-based pigments for way higher quality.

The only thing they don't do is develop the tanks and chip re-setters so buy the system from another mfr and the inks from them.

Or do what you can at Staples and OfficeDepot to recycle the old cartridges for rewards and buy when they're offering bonuses on ink.

Problem with ink is that it does have a shelf life, so beware and check each that you buy.

Just bought new ink cartridges for the HP all in one.

$80 with a $15 off deal at Staples.

It's a rip off.

You can't use generics from Amazon because the printer will not recongnize them.

You can't refill them.

A simple, single cartridge inkjet would make more sense.

I use to spend $75.00 a year (home use ) on ink cartridges.

It's all a big scam.
Once I was running low on 'black', the printer asked if I would like to 'mix' the 3 other colors to get black.
Of coarse not, the 3 colors were expensive. So I went and bought 'black'

Next time, the '3 colors' were running low.
By now I have smartened up and reduced my color printing.
But, when you run low on the '3 colors', the printer won't work, even if I printed only in 'black'.

If you don't do a lot of printing, the ink heads dry up.
What's the fix ? Push the 'clean' button which shoots ink thru the heads to clean them.
That's more ink wasted.

Then I ordered off E-Bay a Lazer Printer.
On sale for $70.00 / Free Shipping
Only 'black' printing. And that's fine for me.

If I need 'colored' photos, I go to Wal-Greens.

I saved more money in one year to pay for the printer.
It was made by Brother.
My only regret now is that I did not buy the combination unit.
One that will Print, Scan, & Photo Copy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88

I see.

The printer my parents have, an Epson also, requires you to replace ALL the cartridges when one runs out.

Incredibly frustrating.

Yes its nuts, i cant even print black because two of my colors are out what rip off

FWIW, you couldn't pay me to use another EPSON...'nuff said.

My 2 Officejet 4500s have been going pretty good for 2-3 years now...but I have learned a couple things:

1. Use genuine HP cartridges only. Anything else is just grief.

2. Try to print a page or 2 each week...including something that is COLOR. I thought I was doing a good thing to save ink by printing only B&W...WRONG!!! The cartridge eventually goes bad if unused and ends up being wasted.

Cheap outlaw ink from Amazon works 100% in my Canons. They use the 5 cartridges(different models of carts).

I take my HP cartridges to Cartridge World and swap them out for refills. I've been doing so for about 3 years now. They give you a little card they stamp and when they've stamped it 9 times you get one free refill. The prices are a lot better than buying new cartridges. So far so good.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I take my HP cartridges to Cartridge World and swap them out for refills. I've been doing so for about 3 years now. They give you a little card they stamp and when they've stamped it 9 times you get one free refill. The prices are a lot better than buying new cartridges. So far so good.

How much is a swap out?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

How much is a swap out?

Can't be less than the ~$1 per that these things go for on ebay, and you don't even have to leave your house. I'm telling you folks, if you're just a home user you've got almost nothing to lose by trying the knock offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back