Flashback. Cars u had in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, they even had a 478 V6 for larger trucks. The hp and torque ratings looks like a diesel engine!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I've seen a few 305 versions of the GM v6, but never a 351. When people don't believe a v6 that big exists, I always tell them "well, then, you'll NEVER believe where the spark plugs were located on them..."

smile.gif

C'mon now, you can't leave us hanging...

RaceWires-3.jpg

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: dhise
'78 gutless supreme.

Did yours have the six or the eight? (He asks like it even matters...neither made more than about 125 horsepower...)

265 v8! it was smooth...

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

My father currently has and drives a 1979 plymouth volare that is green with the slant 6. Car has about 65000 miles on it, he bought it about 10 years ago from an elderly lady. My dad is 78 years old and his volare is perfect for him. I let him borrow my 2001 forester and he couldnt work the radio, the controls for the heater or anything..he even hit the panic button on the key fob. Modern cars are not for him, the volare is perfect for his needs. Below is a pic of what my dads volare looks like almost exactly. Puke green inside and out.

124866_3456_95_ans_de_ppre_ph.jpg

That's not "puke" green; that's Castrol HM Bottle Green!

I had 2 cars in High School:

1. 1968 Mercury Montego MX Convertible with a 302: Loved this car and still miss it. Had lots of fun times in it. Got rid of it in 1987 when someone offered to trade me straight up for a 1982 Nissan Stanza. Family talked me into taking the deal, I was looking to have it redone, although it needed a lot of work.

2. 1974 Chevrolet Impala with a 400. Grandmother got a new car and I bought this from her. 22K original miles and what a lemon. Could not keep an alternator in it (ate voltage regulators) and the engine had such back pressure that it blew out two mufflers. Got rid of it at 38k.

My high school car was also my first car and was a 1971 Nova SS 4 speed car. Sadly I have no pictures of that car but I daily drove it for close to 10 years.

First car was a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88. Mother helped me buy it off her boss and we drove it home. Didn't have my license at the time, but whenever we got to the back roads to my house she let me drive it home. When I got it, it was a rusty pile. Me and my father stripped it down, fixed the rust and painted it. I was proud as can be with all the work I put into it. The other kids at schools parents bought them (at the time) new SRT 4's and BMW's but I didn't care. It was all mine, I even went and found a nice chrome luggage rack from an upscale model and put it on there. I remember replacing the alternator, water pump, starter, plugs and wires, and flushing the nasty coolant all by myself without help.

Early on (complete with bald whitewall snow tires, lawl):

To (fuzzy dice and all...):

High School ended for me in 1964, but my father had a 64 buick riviera and a 62 plymouth belvedere, 62 ford falcon wagon, and a 52 dodge pick up over a 4 year period....I got to drive the falcon,,what a pos, but hey, it ran and ran and ran..lol

88 Cavalier Z24. Sadly had to get rid of it in 2007 due to rust issues. I loved that car, it looked cool and had a burbly V6 under the hood. Even the hood scoops were functional, which I thought was the coolest thing ever on an economy car. Even had white lettered tires on it, haha.

Last I knew the car was running around in Florida.

I'll own another one someday.

2672637405_6f34875cc6.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Didn't have a car in high school -- in fact not until I left college in 1976. The '75 Ford Maverick sedan was actually purchased by my fiancee with an inheritance; MSRP was about $4300, as I recall. Ours was a light metallic green, with a matching cloth/vinyl interior, some fake wood strips and chrome bits, and the larger 250 cid I6. I learned to change oil, coolant, and other things on it. It rode well for the time, and we ran from Lafayette, LA, down to NO at least once a month, a 250-mile round trip, at 55-65 (those were the days of the double-nickel speed limit, remember?). I think it averaged around 15 mpg, which was darn good when gas was .55/gallon.

It's hard to find a pic of a 4-door Maverick on the web. All of them seem to be coupes and Grabbers.

Green 4 door maverick example..
dsc00384ed.jpg

That's it! Though mine had whitewalls, and I put baby moon caps on in place of the stock Ford wheel covers.

Didn't have a car in high school -- in fact not until I left college in 1976. The '75 Ford Maverick sedan was actually purchased by my fiancee with an inheritance; MSRP was about $4300, as I recall. Ours was a light metallic green, with a matching cloth/vinyl interior, some fake wood strips and chrome bits, and the larger 250 cid I6. I learned to change oil, coolant, and other things on it. It rode well for the time, and we ran from Lafayette, LA, down to NO at least once a month, a 250-mile round trip, at 55-65 (those were the days of the double-nickel speed limit, remember?). I think it averaged around 15 mpg, which was darn good when gas was .55/gallon.

It's hard to find a pic of a 4-door Maverick on the web. All of them seem to be coupes and Grabbers.

dsc00384ed.jpg

That's it! Though mine had whitewalls, and I put baby moon caps on in place of the stock Ford wheel covers.

LOL I had something similar. I had the ugly cousin the Mercury Comet same engine, I think I got it to squawk the tires once off a dead stop. It wouldn't even reach 100mph...at that the NVH was scary...only did that once. Pretty reliable though. Mine was white with white rimmed hubcaps, dark brown fabric roof that rotted away to the metal under it. Can't complain, although my dad said it was between the Comet and a Camaro with a 350cu, probably too much power so we went with the Comet. I smiled and said thanks, I was secretly dying inside though thinking I could have had a Camaro.... Arrrg !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

dsc00384ed.jpg

LOL I had something similar. I had the ugly cousin the Mercury Comet same engine, I think I got it to squawk the tires once off a dead stop. It wouldn't even reach 100mph...at that the NVH was scary...only did that once. Pretty reliable though. Mine was white with white rimmed hubcaps, dark brown fabric roof that rotted away to the metal under it. Can't complain, although my dad said it was between the Comet and a Camaro with a 350cu, probably too much power so we went with the Comet. I smiled and said thanks, I was secretly dying inside though thinking I could have had a Camaro.... Arrrg !

in September of 1982 I drove a borrowed '74 Mercury Comet 2-door with the 250 I6 and C4 automatic for my first few weeks of college, because my Satellite was down for a timing chain job (lousy time for that to happen... you might say, "bad timing.") I was really, really glad to get back behind the wheel of a 2-barrel (at the time) 318 in a 4-door car. And that's saying something very sad about the early 70s Maverick/Comet...

Regarding the Maverick/Comet: Given that I'd been riding the bus/cadging rides from increasingly reluctant friends, I was crazy-happy to have the Maverick.

I dunno what the equivalent in the Ford lineup would be now; the Fusion, I suppose? Even if I disliked the Fusion -- and I rented one in CA, and I liked it quite a bit -- I'd take it in a microsecond over bus riding (especially today) and begging friends for a lift.

I was in HS from fall '78 to spring '82, and I drove a '73 Plymouth Satellite handed down from my folks. I don't have a handy picture of it from back in its prime, but the picture below was taken the day I gave it away in 2013 when it was over 40 years old (build date August of '72). At that time, I'd driven it all through HS, College, grad school, early career (commuting ~50 miles/day for 10 years). When I finally parted with it, it had 436,800 miles on the clock and had been in garaged storage for >5 years. It started up after a 10-minute prep of a new battery, shot of fresh fuel in the tank, priming the Thermoquad's float bowls with gas (it was stored with MMO in the float bowls), and checking for rodents. The new owner drove it home the next day. You can't kill a Chrysler 318/904 drivetrain- best ever (including better than a slant-6/904, Chevy 350/TH350, or Jeep 4.0/AW4) in my book.

It was my closest thing to a 'hot rod' (despite being an anemic smallblock and a 4-door) for many years, so I beefed the heck out of the suspension with big sway bars front and rear, polygraphite bushings, bigger torsion bars, and stiffer shocks. The engine got a 4-barrel Edelbrock Performer and the Thermoquad in place of the original BBD, dual roller timing chain, degreed cam, and a few other minor goodies. I always planned to put better gears in it, but never got around to it before I bought the R/T in my sig and started devoting my energies to that. I probably had the best-handling 4-door Satellite of all time when I was done... it would flat-out carve corners, but didn't have the gearing to dig out of them all that well. Still was fun though.

ced470d0-f466-4960-8f7e-70d39973a6f8_zpsa966811d.jpg

I had the 72 with a 318, a few years after HS. It was also a hand me down. It was a nice car. It was legally parked and ended up getting wrapped around a tree by a drunk driver.
mad.gif

Regarding the Maverick/Comet: Given that I'd been riding the bus/cadging rides from increasingly reluctant friends, I was crazy-happy to have the Maverick.

No argument there, and I will admit that old Comet was very reliable. But how many goofy little engineering quirks could they pack into one car? I remember that it didn't even actually have a true power steering gearbox. There was a hydraulic cylinder slaved onto a conventional steering box and the assist control valving was on the tip of the Pittman arm- something like 6 high-pressure power steering hoses were involved. And then there was the whole bit of the 250 6-cylinder having the intake manifold cast integrally with the cylinder head... And the dash had a speedometer and a fuel gauge.... nothing else but idiot lights!

No argument there, and I will admit that old Comet was very reliable. But how many goofy little engineering quirks could they pack into one car? I remember that it didn't even actually have a true power steering gearbox. There was a hydraulic cylinder slaved onto a conventional steering box and the assist control valving was on the tip of the Pittman arm- something like 6 high-pressure power steering hoses were involved. And then there was the whole bit of the 250 6-cylinder having the intake manifold cast integrally with the cylinder head... And the dash had a speedometer and a fuel gauge.... nothing else but idiot lights!

At least mine came along after the nonsense Detroit tried, of the driver being unable to start the car unless he was buckled up. Certainly my Maverick didn't have it. I recall it might have been built for sale in Canada, but wound up down in The Swamp.

I loved this car.. 1988 LeBaron GTS hatch (pic is not mine, mine was white but with same wheels)

It was so reliable, had such great seats, and it was just an overall solid car. It ran awesome, but eventually succumbed to body rot like everything else around here. I wish I still had it!

100_4021.jpg

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I loved this car.. 1988 LeBaron GTS hatch (pic is not mine, mine was white but with same wheels)

It was so reliable, had such great seats, and it was just an overall solid car. It ran awesome, but eventually succumbed to body rot like everything else around here. I wish I still had it!

100_4021.jpg

Stopped and test drove one.. Went to the bank 15 miles away and by the time we got back they sold it from under us. Ticked me off to no end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back