How long too run a quart of MMO with 3 quarts oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all: ) I am 240 miles in on a engine flush* so to speak. 98 toyota corolla. 4 quart sump. I used a quart of MMO to replace a quart of oil. I used PYB 5w30.
Now ive read others using it 600 miles before an oil change. Ive read others run 20% of MMO for 1,700 miles then did an oil change. In my case, i used a quart. and a fram tough guard filter. How long am i supposed too leave this in my car?

The solvents in the mmo will have mostly flashed off by now,and the carrier oil will have burned off the shorter chain molecules by now too.
MMO can be run for the entire interval. Just add oil once it gets low because of the components flashing off. Other than that your good to go

Thats fully 1/4 of your oil is MMO. I'd change the oil now. Whatever cleaning its going to do, assume its done it and get back to a full balanced oil formula (just motor oil alone).

just leave it for the entire OCI and top off as needed with regular oil. you aren't going to hurt anything.

I put a quart in my Cherokee to shut someone up who said it was a "stuck lifter" and to run MMO through it to quiet up.

Did it before a jeep club seasonal highway run where it would be running all day. It flashed off pretty quick.

That was 3 or 4 months ago, 2000 miles at least. I plan on leaving the oil alone until the spring when it's time for another change.

I wouldn't leave it in there very long at that concentration. Sounds like a classic case of if a little is good than more should be better. It isn't.

MMO isn't really intended to be a "flush" it is more of a slow, steady cleaner. Use a more modest amount in the future and simply run your normal OCI if you intend to clean it up with MMO. The PYB is an excellent choice for the oil.

You can run what you have much longer but it sounds like you've already got "the itch".

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
MMO isn't really intended to be a "flush" it is more of a slow, steady cleaner. Use a more modest amount in the future and simply run your normal OCI if you intend to clean it up with MMO. The PYB is an excellent choice for the oil.

You can run what you have much longer but it sounds like you've already got "the itch".

Question for you: If the solvent flashes off, how can it be a slow, steady cleaner if all you are left with is the base oil/carrier?

25% is on the FAR upper ratio. I read where a guy ruined an engine on 25% MMO, but
who knows how bad it was before that. Should be 20% max.

I would suggest just leaving it alone. Iv used MMO quiet often like to add it every 3-4th oil change on my vehicles. It burns off typically (in my experience) in about 500 miles. That's when I notice a significant drop in oil.

Changed my oil, and my wife's today. Put Delo 400 in my Regal and the usual Mobil super 5k in the Taurus.

Sons truck was leaking at the valve cover and so we replaced the gasket. 180k miles not as much as varnish. Thing was spotless. Took a picture wanted to upload it but didn't feel it was really worthy content to contribute.

Last edited:
The solvents in MMO will flash off. I would keep an eye on your oil level and top off with oil only when needed. I see no reason to dump the oil sooner unless it looks real black.

Last edited:
I think a good flush would be running a high detergent 5w30 or 0w20 to 3qts of whatever oil for no more than 500 miles. I kinda get scared with mmo as it flashes quickly and thins the properties of the oil. I think PUP used as a qt with your pyb would be a great mix and would give your engine protection that mmo might not give. Let us know the results/findings.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
just leave it for the entire OCI and top off as needed with regular oil. you aren't going to hurt anything.

This. You may not even have to add any oil to it. It will work just fine
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636

thumbsup2.gif

On most cars, yes.

BUT, tell that to the guy who locked up his engine on a 25% concentration.
frown.gif

You may not even have to add any oil to it. It will work just fine
thumbsup2.gif

From my experience with the product, in the winter it is less likely to flash off, especially if the OP is doing short trips. During the winter the oil takes longer to reach operating temp, and my trips were usually short. Bottom line keep an eye on the oil level, and only top up with oil.

Originally Posted By: Turk

thumbsup2.gif

On most cars, yes.

BUT, tell that to the guy who locked up his engine on a 25% concentration.
frown.gif

Sorry to hear that, but I have doubts that a motor in good condition locked up because it had 5% more MMO concentration than what is recommended
confused.gif
. Sounds like there were some underlying condtion(s) that caused failure, not the additive itself. But either way, sorry for (your?) loss.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Question for you: If the solvent flashes off, how can it be a slow, steady cleaner if all you are left with is the base oil/carrier?

We don't know ALL the cleaners flash off, we just suspect they might. MMO says to run it full OCI, they ought to have an idea.

MMO is not promoted as a "flush".

I have used it and had a drop in level requiring top off, and I have used it where the level hasn't budged at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back