Sentra driveability/hot restart issues solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on this car off and on for about three weeks now. It's my son's 96 Sentra with the GA16DE engine. High idle (around 1500 RPM), surging when driving, and failure to restart after 10 to 15 minutes of heat soak after shutoff. But, let it cool off for an hour or two and it would restart.

Replaced fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor, plugs, plug wires, O2 sensor. Cleaned MAF sensor, IAC valve.

Solution? Replaced distributor. The distributor contains both an oil seal and ball bearing around the central shaft. The seal dries out and leaks and allows oil to leak into the distributor and wreak havoc with the optical wheel and sensor inside. Also, the ignition coil is inside the distributor as well and I'm fairly certain that it was breaking down under heat causing the hot restart issues.

Turns out that the distributor issue is a fairly common problem with these motors.

What brand of distributor? I have heard of horror stories with those new Chinese made models.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Another reason to use MaxLife on old cars. Maybe it would have helped.

Disagree; just another reason to replace old parts as they wear.

Good job, OP. The other ignition parts were probably due, and he can now drive with a little more confidence!

Had a problem similar to this with an 87 MR2 years ago. The difference in symptoms was the car would start and run normal for about 5-10 mins and then it would stall. It would not restart until about an hour or two later. And again it would only run for about 10 mins before stalling. Replaced a bunch of stuff before figuring out it was the distributor itself.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
What brand of distributor? I have heard of horror stories with those new Chinese made models.

Bought it off Ebay. BuyAutoParts.com. No doubt a Chinese piece. But it was the difference between $75 and >$200 and my kid didn't have the extra $. Roll of the dice. There's a one year warranty on the dist. so we'll see.

Originally Posted By: chestand
The distributor contains both an oil seal and ball bearing around the central shaft. The seal dries out and leaks and allows oil to leak into the distributor and wreak havoc with the optical wheel and sensor inside.

Where'd you get that information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back