AC leak and AC compressor function

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a leak affect how the ac compressor works? Our 2008 CRV ac compressor stopped working today...75 degrees, lol. Anyway I found a service bulletin about issues with the compressor but I'm afraid I'm SOL on the warranty 7 years 100,000 although were still in the 7 year window. Basically I'm trying to get my facts correct so honda doesn't try to pull a fast one.

Thanks

Your crv's ac system is very problematic. It uses a scroll compressor and they like to blow a hole in the body. Yes just a few oz too much or too little refrigerant will effect it.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Can a leak affect how the ac compressor works? Our 2008 CRV ac compressor stopped working today...75 degrees, lol. Anyway I found a service bulletin about issues with the compressor but I'm afraid I'm SOL on the warranty 7 years 100,000 although were still in the 7 year window. Basically I'm trying to get my facts correct so honda doesn't try to pull a fast one.

Thanks

Have you used the dealer for service on a regular basis? If you have they will possibly assist you with a percentage of the repair as a good will gesture, it could be anywhere from 50% to about 10%.
When you do go into the dealer be friendly and polite and explain the situation and make sure they know you were a regular patron of their store. Going in and being an irate customer will get you nothing. If you are considering buying another Honda and still keeping this car make sure you mention that too it will help play a roll in what they are willing to do for you. If they help out with the cost of the repair you will be more likely to buy another Honda from this dealership. Good luck and post back about the results you get. Don't leave us hanging.
wink.gif

Will do I took it to dealer a few times for a brake flush and for a bent rim. Ive bought parts from them multiple times too.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Your crv's ac system is very problematic. It uses a scroll compressor and they like to blow a hole in the body. Yes just a few oz too much or too little refrigerant will effect it.

I did remember about the recall. Thanks.

The other day I ordered three upgraded relays for the compressor clutch, and both fans...all three the same part number. They have been having issues with the USA version and now there's a upgraded version from japan.

Received the updated relays. Got AC although it's 32 outside, lol. Upgraded both fan relays also since there both the same pn's. The A05's I received are made in Taiwan not Japan if that matters.

Last edited:
i dont know about your 2008 crv specifically but a scroll compressor is nothing fancy they are a common design. if you have a typical ac system using r134a refrigerant and a thermostatic expansion valve, u can look up four seasons tech articles videos about how just a slight undercharge even though you still get cold air what happens is oil backs up in the evaporator and compressor starves of oil because not enough refrigerant in the system to keep enough oil moving. the eventual result in any system is compressor failure.
all systems leak refrigerant, albeit very slowly. after 7 yrs and 100k miles if ac system was never touched and refrigerrant never added then i guarantee you it was less than full. whether u had an actual leak and lost enough refrig. to cause the low pressure sensor to turn ac compressor off is also possible. if u continuously run the ac low on refrig. letting the low pressure sensor cycle the compressor off that will result in a failed compressor via lack of lubrication.

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
i dont know about your 2008 crv specifically but a scroll compressor is nothing fancy they are a common design. if you have a typical ac system using r134a refrigerant and a thermostatic expansion valve, u can look up four seasons tech articles videos about how just a slight undercharge even though you still get cold air what happens is oil backs up in the evaporator and compressor starves of oil because not enough refrigerant in the system to keep enough oil moving. the eventual result in any system is compressor failure.
all systems leak refrigerant, albeit very slowly. after 7 yrs and 100k miles if ac system was never touched and refrigerrant never added then i guarantee you it was less than full. whether u had an actual leak and lost enough refrig. to cause the low pressure sensor to turn ac compressor off is also possible. if u continuously run the ac low on refrig. letting the low pressure sensor cycle the compressor off that will result in a failed compressor via lack of lubrication.

Thanks for the reply. I'll pick up some R134a. The compressor now cycles every five seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back