Purolator Pl14612 cut open looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran on 91 miata 2700 miles at 13 months qsgb 10w30. Had a timing belt job and cam,crank and valve cover seals done at a shop. drove around 200 miles after job and then changed with valvoline synpower 10w30 and a FU. Everything looked good adbv was pliable pleats straight No tears. Pretty clean also found a couple small pieces of what look to be rvt on the pleats.

][/url] ][/url] ][/url] ][/url] ][/url] ][/url] ][/url] ][/url]

That filter looks pretty good (from the pictures i see) it does not even seem to have the wavvvvy media that most purolators have this is a good thing maybe they have improved their filters. It may be a little early to tell but i am seeing some positive signs. Although they never admitted they have a problem which annoys a lot of us that know better maybe they are silently working to improve and if so maybe they will gain some peoples trust back in a year or two.

Looks very good.

Wavy media does seem to be a hit or miss with Purolator filters. Heck, my last Mopar filter I cut open was stellar. I cut a previous one open with roughly 200 miles on it that looked like an elephant sat on it.

2700 miles...I wish you put that in the title so I wouldn't have bothered clicking!

I personally don't know any oil filter that I can get my hands on, that can't do 2700 miles...

2700 miles on this filter really isn't anything to brag about, BUT from what I have seen, wavy pleats form at the beginning of the OCI rather than as usage increases.

Just my own observation.. something to consider.

Hello, I wonder why they bother to crimp a metal band to join the ends of the media.
You'd think there'd be a glue which could do the job.
My sister's car uses this filter so at least I'm happy it looks pretty cut open. Kira

Nice, looks good. And while 2700 miles no torture test, doing it over 13 months means it's either short tripped, or sits often. That imo, can be tougher than lots of highway miles over the same time frame. In any case this one looks like it could have easily done twice the miles if desired.

Thanks for cutting and posting.

The 14612 has always been an excellent filter. It's small, has nice tight pleats, which makes for very strong media. Add another pleat or two near the seam and this is a *perfect* little filter.

Looks good! The purohaters are not going to like this...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
2700 miles...I wish you put that in the title so I wouldn't have bothered clicking!

I personally don't know any oil filter that I can get my hands on, that can't do 2700 miles...
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
2700 miles on this filter really isn't anything to brag about, BUT from what I have seen, wavy pleats form at the beginning of the OCI rather than as usage increases.

Just my own observation.. something to consider.

Agree....2700 is nothing and most any filter can easily do that short mileage. Try 5000 next time and then send pics.

BTW....excellenrt pics.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, I wonder why they bother to crimp a metal band to join the ends of the media.
My sister's car uses this filter so at least I'm happy it looks pretty cut open. Kira

Check my thread. Mine didn't have one at all.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Some models use glue, some use the metal crimp. Don't know why it's not all one way or the other ... you'd have to ask Purolator, and they would never respond anyway.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back