how many times can I clean a paper filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck plugs air filters quickly. I have a restriction gauge and its getting pretty close to the red plus it rolling coal due to a lack of air at higher rpm's. Last time I blew it out. Does that hurt the filter?

I've got access to a shop vac but have never used it. The air filter is $15-$20 and plugs up in about 8 weeks since I live in the desert.

A K&N is not an option. I dont like them.

Technically, they're not designed to be cleaned, particularly with compressed air, only replaced. Of course, on the farm, we did a lot of blowing filters out with compressed air. I'd love to see UOAs on that versus UOAs on properly replaced filters (i.e. used to their proper life like you do), and see what the "cleaning" does for silicon numbers.

Personally, if it were me, I'd go for the K&N (or a competitor) before using compressed air on the filter. Other options would be a pre-filter (if possible in your application) or seeing if you can find a deal on filters if you buy a bunch, since you'll use them. The K&N isn't a best practice, as it were, but neither is blowing out the filter.

I agree with Garak here. I would not clean a paper filter, just replace it. BTW Garak, the wife doesnt like the increased whistling sound from the turbo so I may need to replace the K&N with a paper media after all. (Slapping forhead).

I'd just think about planning to replace the air filter every 8 weeks or so. Can you get the cost down to about $10-12 each by buying in bulk or online???

I used to see a separate foam element on the outside of a filter on carbureted cars. I don't know if something exists or could be fabricated for modern vehicles. I never used them as I thought it added restriction. It would be fairly easy though to wash it out with soapy water.

Get a pre-oiled filter? I live in Mississippi and altho its not considered "dusty" here I live 5 miles down a gravel road. Between that and the beach which constantly whips sand on windy days iv went with a Fram tough guard. Might consider one. I don't blame you on the K&N filter tho.

#1.) See if anyone online sells a foam pre-filter for your truck. If so, buy this. I have one from Napa for my K1500 and it works wonders!!! If someone does sell the pre-filter, I'd consider going to a parts store and buying a can of K&N filter oil and spray it onto your foam pre-filter. I do this on my truck. It captures a lot of dirt. Easy to wash with soap and water, re-oil, and re-install.

#2.) If you can't find a foam pre-filter, Give me the dimensions of the filter that would work in your application. I have a lot of nice foam in my garage. I'd custom cut you a piece and ship it to you no problem.

Id try vacumming up each side of the air filter..but im guessing it might only stretch things by a couple weeks..besides that, find cheaper air element replacements like the others have said.

If your filter element faces downward, wrap the face of it in panty hose. It will deflect most of the sand, and it will fall to the bottom of the air box when you stop your truck. When the restriction gets too high, which should be less frequent, change out the panty hose.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
#1.) See if anyone online sells a foam pre-filter for your truck. If so, buy this. I have one from Napa for my K1500 and it works wonders!!! If someone does sell the pre-filter, I'd consider going to a parts store and buying a can of K&N filter oil and spray it onto your foam pre-filter. I do this on my truck. It captures a lot of dirt. Easy to wash with soap and water, re-oil, and re-install.

#2.) If you can't find a foam pre-filter, Give me the dimensions of the filter that would work in your application. I have a lot of nice foam in my garage. I'd custom cut you a piece and ship it to you no problem.
the wix version comes with a foam wrap. It gets plugged first!

I'd think if you had one with the foam pre-filter you could just clean the foam and get more use out of the filter. Yeah cheapest one for your truck is nearly $12. I've blown out filters before and they seem to take it OK. Never had one tear up from it.

For bikes in the desert we did oiled foam filters and just cleaned them with gas.

Another trick was to coat the inside of the dirty side of the airbox with bearing grease. Any coarse material that swirls around inside the box gets caught in the grease before it hits the filter.

BSW

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I used to see a separate foam element on the outside of a filter on carbureted cars.

This is what I was thinking of. Also, Chris, I'm assuming this is for the 1987 diesel of yours. Perhaps that engine might have been used in some agricultural applications and there may have been something already fabricated to deal with excessively dusty environments. I'm not talking about a combine's "chimney" or anything so outrageous, but something like a foam element or an oiled element or a baffled precleaner might already exist. Skid's link reminded me that Richard may have some ideas on the matter, too.

Originally Posted By: Skid
"Here we see what happens when you use an air compressor to clean an air filter or use a filter that does not stop the dust from entering the engine."

http://www.widman.biz/English/Analysis/Cleaning.html

I'm glad you posted that link, I totally agree you should never clean paper air filters just replace them.

The OP already has a restriction gauge, he's just going to have to change the filter when needed.

I would look into some sort of way to pre filter the air though if possible to rig a setup.

Also see if you can find an Amsoil EA filter before they are gone forever, they are designed to be cleaned and you might be a perfect candidate.

Clean it? No, just say the serenity prayer and replace it constantly. File it under cost of doing business
49.gif

Do you notice any increased service time with a higher tiered paper filter vs. a base one? If applicable of course.. not sure if they have many options for the old school filters.

For example, the P1 vs. the Classic or the TG vs. the EG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back