Motorcraft full syntheic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a UOA is the way to judge this. Transmission would be more of a concern than engine and also depends what your trucks towing limit is vs weight of what you are towing is.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I think a UOA is the way to judge this. Transmission would be more of a concern than engine and also depends what your trucks towing limit is vs weight of what you are towing is.

Totally agree. Motor oil, especially Motorcraft, is pretty darn good these days. Go with UOA's of both the oil and the ATF after probably 7k and see how it is. I don't know if your truck comes with a trans cooler (have to assume so) but that's a cheap upgrade compared to a new transmission.

Originally Posted By: Fordbossguy
As some of you know I tow quite abit of weight with my 2015 Ford F-250 6.2, what's your guys opinion on running it 10,000 miles on changes?

Use M1 and forget the UOA for a 10K OCI.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
your truck should have and oil life monitor. If you are towing a lot of heavy loads i would go by it regardless of what oil is used. MC is a quality oil.

Agreed. I would run it down to about 10% I would have no prob with the synthetic, if you were running the blend I don't think 10k + towing would work.

Motorcraft full synthetic or an awesome oil, buy it's not available in 5 quart jugs at Walmart for $25 either... So why would I pay extra for something that can't be measurably better?

Originally Posted By: dothedrew1202
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
your truck should have and oil life monitor. If you are towing a lot of heavy loads i would go by it regardless of what oil is used. MC is a quality oil.

Agreed. I would run it down to about 10% I would have no prob with the synthetic, if you were running the blend I don't think 10k + towing would work.

No UOA is needed - follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

Synthetic oil is always better. Synthetic + OLM = long engine life. The engine is only working hard when you accelerating from a complete stop, hilly terrain, and wind. Wind is not really a problem if towing an open trailer.

My Sierra didn't come with an additional transmission cooler. Our Frontier did. Our Sierra is rated for approx. 6200 lbs towing capacity. Have the engineers figured that the factory cooling system is adequate to handle loads up to this weight without additional cooling? I'm certainly not opposed to the additional cooler, as I've had them on other vehicles I've owned. I was just curious what others thought.

Last edited:
I had a 2006 V6 Toyota 4Runner that I would tow the max tow rating of 5,000 lbs during the hot summer months and wondered the same thing so I did a UOA of the oil I normally used She'll Formula Full Synthetic 5w30 and ran it for 8,000 miles and it was a great report. I then ran the same oil for the same millage during the summer months with lots of hard towing and that summer it was HOT! And I really worked this truck wide open up real long hills in third gear I expected the UOA to show elevated everything and a big drop in TBN but I was wrong this UOA was better then the UOA without towing! I was shocked to say the leased. Do a UOA and see what you get... By the way I ran a rather large aftermarket trans cooler on this truck and never had a trans issue in over 180,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back